Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to buy used - mainly mechanical checks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [All Models] How to buy used - mainly mechanical checks

    Private or trade?Start with your head in the right place:Before you go:When you go to look at a car:Under the bonnet:Test drives:What if a problem emerges?
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

  • #2
    Nicely done Taurus
    |> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|

    Comment


    • #3
      Good morning all.

      I've just joined this forum to get advice on buying a used corsa. I've used other car enthusiast forums before so I thought I knew what I was doing. However I can't read this buyers guide post. All I can see is the leading statement. I've tried tapping all sorts of areas of the screen with no luck.

      Im obviously missing something!

      PLEASE HELP. I'm due to see the car at a dealers this afternoon with my Son who is buying.

      Thanks in advance.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Foodie View Post
        Good morning all.

        I've just joined this forum to get advice on buying a used corsa. I've used other car enthusiast forums before so I thought I knew what I was doing. However I can't read this buyers guide post. All I can see is the leading statement. I've tried tapping all sorts of areas of the screen with no luck.

        Im obviously missing something!

        PLEASE HELP. I'm due to see the car at a dealers this afternoon with my Son who is buying.

        Thanks in advance.
        It looks like the data from the post is missing, so it's not just you!

        What is your son looking at? Perhaps someone can advise.

        Also I love a GT4, nice choice of car!
        TheCorsa's friendly predator

        I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jt999 View Post

          It looks like the data from the post is missing, so it's not just you!

          What is your son looking at? Perhaps someone can advise.

          Also I love a GT4, nice choice of car!
          Thanks for responding JT999. I'm glad I'm not going senile just yet.

          We had a good look around the car (54 plate 1.2 16valve Corsa) it looked very well for its age, it recently had both front anti roll bars, one rear leaf spring and opposite rear strut replaced due to mot failure Sepyember 2019 (invoice seen) and earlier had the other rear shock replaced.

          All looked OK, seller ("dealer" working from home) seemed genuine and has a fair number of good reviews on autotrader. It drove well, surprisingly quick off the mark!

          I believe the engine is chain driven and therefore needs regular oil changes. This one was nice and quiet. We'll change the oil as soon as possible, something I always do anyway.

          ​​​​The only concern was a bit of water in both footwells, it didn't taste like coolant or corrosion, so I wasn't worried about the heater matrix. I'm sure it'll be a door or window seal. We've bought the car as it seemed a good buy on the whole for £695. Time will tell....

          The GT4 has long been my affordable dream car. I've had mine 4 years now and they are finally realising some good prices because they can now be exported to the USA as they are 25 years old. Mines 26. Great fun while I can still get in and out of it.

          THE WRX is no slouch either with it's similar rally heritage. I love WRC generally, going to Wales GB Rally next year as its planned for August. No mud? Unheard of.

          Thanks again, take care.
          ​​​​​​​Gary
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Foodie View Post

            Thanks for responding JT999. I'm glad I'm not going senile just yet.

            We had a good look around the car (54 plate 1.2 16valve Corsa) it looked very well for its age, it recently had both front anti roll bars, one rear leaf spring and opposite rear strut replaced due to mot failure Sepyember 2019 (invoice seen) and earlier had the other rear shock replaced.

            All looked OK, seller ("dealer" working from home) seemed genuine and has a fair number of good reviews on autotrader. It drove well, surprisingly quick off the mark!

            I believe the engine is chain driven and therefore needs regular oil changes. This one was nice and quiet. We'll change the oil as soon as possible, something I always do anyway.

            ​​​​The only concern was a bit of water in both footwells, it didn't taste like coolant or corrosion, so I wasn't worried about the heater matrix. I'm sure it'll be a door or window seal. We've bought the car as it seemed a good buy on the whole for £695. Time will tell....

            The GT4 has long been my affordable dream car. I've had mine 4 years now and they are finally realising some good prices because they can now be exported to the USA as they are 25 years old. Mines 26. Great fun while I can still get in and out of it.

            THE WRX is no slouch either with it's similar rally heritage. I love WRC generally, going to Wales GB Rally next year as its planned for August. No mud? Unheard of.

            Thanks again, take care.
            Gary
            Water in the footwells is a common problem, might be worth reading this thread as there is a decent (and long) response Corsa REG05 driver side water leak drastic temp solution advice please - TheCorsa.co.uk Forums

            I had a look on AutoTrader for a few GT4's last night actually as assumed they'd be crazy money but not as bad as I thought (one has been parked at the end of my road for a few days, it's lovely so I thought I'd dream a little, looks almost identical to yours). I once had a Celica of same shape (think it was a 96, ST trim which I think was the basic model) and was always envious of the GT4's I saw!

            I love an Impreza, had a WRX myself until about 18 months ago, miss it but it wasn't the easiest daily driver!
            TheCorsa's friendly predator

            I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap


            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the link. As we have more fluid on the drivers side than the passenger, it seems that we have 2 culprits, which I can now do something about. Thanks again.

              My GT4 is not a daily and always hibernates when there's salt on the road. I bought it as a toy / investment. So far it's gone to plan on both counts. Big Smiles.

              Comment

              Working...
              X