Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Advice needed please... Distributor and Carburettor

Hello everyone

I have a GM "family 0" engine, or a "Z12XE"... This is the 1.2 litre petrol four cylinder engine used in earlier model Corsas.

Has anybody on the forum heard of one of these engines being converted to run on distributor and carburettor? If so, could you please point me in the right direction on how to get more information on this subject?

I want to convert the engine so I can run it as a stand alone unit, without need of an ECU.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

not really possible / practical. too many components required to enable it to run , NEW INLET MANIFOLD SYSTEM, NEW FUEL PUMP, NEW EXHAUST,. NEW CARB,.OLD IGNITION SYSTEM, WITH ALL 5 IGNITION LEADS. AND COIL, a compatible DISTIBUTOR?? (, there are no holes ie for distributor insertion into the engine block which would be required for a distributor, as it operates from the bottom of the distributor shaft down onto the in engine camshaft(this engine is a overhead cam shaft) . you would be better off trying to get an engine from an old 1.2 OPEL KADETT or such like , or any older type engine with all its running components
    Last edited by DURGAMAN80; 28-02-2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I agree with durgaman80. I have heard of fuel injection being replaced by multiple carbs from a motorcycle on some GM engines. But the o series was never produced with carbs so you cant just bolt on the relevant parts from an earlier engine. Major fabrication and high engineering skills would be required just to fit carbs. And I'm not sure how they spark and time the engine. I doubt the existing crank position sensors etc would work without being controlled by an ecu, but it may be possible. And if you need an ECU for sparks there is no point fitting carbs. (Unless its to build some rip snorting powerful beast and you know what you are doing. ) I suppose a highly skilled engineer with a machine shop, might have enjoyed the challenge of fitting a distributor,and shared it on line.

Comment

Working...
      X