Overfilling oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Overfilling oil

Recently changed the oil in my daughters 1.0 life Corsa c. Refilled with 4.5 litres of 10w-40 oil. I now know this is way to much oil as I believe it should have only been 3 to 3.5 litres. It is currently sorn until her birthday and the engine has only been run for 10 minutes at a time once a week basically just to keep the battery from going flat for a couple of weeks. Not been driven on the road. I believe the oil can "froth up" and lose its effectiveness over time but does anyone know of any other issue it could cause? I am going to drain a litre or so out to get it to the correct level as I have noticed a small oil leak (not filter). Could this be connected with the over fill?
    Any answers or advice much appreciated thanks!!!

Certainly putting in too much oil could be related to the leak, depending on where it's coming from. I don't know how much oil that car takes (handbook should say for sure) but it'd be worth having the correct amount of oil in the car and seeing if it helps.

Comment

1.0 oil capacity is 3 litres.
      Modern oil is quite robust and even if you have used a budget brand its specification is probably better than the oil used when the car left the factory. Unless the appearance of the oil causes concern when you drain some off I wouldnt be too concerned about frothing or deterioration.

Much of the modern specificaton is aimed at extending servicing periods. But its better to change oil more often than the manufacturers recommended service intervals anyway.

Overfilling could cause over oiling of the cylinders causing smoke and fouled plugs. In more extreme cases it could cause hydraulic lock. This is where a fluid such as oil or water fills a void it should not, and being in compressible causes the machine to stop,or burst in some way.

As the engine is still running you have probably escaped without harm. But its possible hydraulic lock caused an unusually high oil pressure that might have caused leakage at an oil seal or gasket.

Vauxhall engines often have a small leak at the oil pressure switch. This is cheap and easy to replace. It may be that.

I highly recommend buying a Haynes manual. Often available used on ebay etc.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I did check by the oil pressure switch(bought a new one as told it was a common fault) but the oil is from the filter side but not from the filter o ring but underneath somewhere. could this be the oil seal or gasket? Where would that oil be noticeably leaking from? Cheers!!!

Comment

Sorry I dont know enough about the engine to know where its likely to be leaking from beyond the usual pressure switch. With an engine maybe 12 or more years old slight leaks and a bit of seepage here and there may not be unusual.

If the oil is black it may be historic, dating from before the oil change.Its still a leak but not related to your overfill. You will probably still want to trace the source, and decide whether the leak is big enough to worry about -vs- how easy it would be to fix. But only you, or a mechanic can decide whats nothing to worry about , and what is.

If the oil appears to be clean and fresh the cause may have been more recent. But the seller of the car may have cleaned off a pre existing oil leak for the sale, and its only now revealing itself again. Also its sometimes possible to spill a bit of oil when filling,and although you may clean off the obvious a barely visible flow might still have run down and reappeared further down as an apparent leak. This can also happen with actual leaks.It might seep down ,and along, then appear elsewhere as drips. Dirty oil is easier see and trace back than clean.

Comment

It's quite common for the corsa 1.2 engine after a period of time to leak oil out of the corners of the headgasket at the front edges, just above the oil filter and is difficult to see and runs down and drips of the bottom of the bell housing. It's not normally a problem something thing you have to live with and keep a eye on the oil level more regularly as the sump only holds about 3.5 litres. When it gets to bad you will have to get the headgasket changed.

Comment

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have dropped a litre of oil out so the dipstick reading is normal now so that's one thing off my mind, Have cleaned all old oil away from everywhere I could get to underneath and above. Just a waiting game now to see if the leak is cured by taking the excess oil out. I changed the oil pressure switch which was a really simple job and is clean now. The only issue I seem to have now is that when the car is running the car with a spanner light comes on the dash but when I fiddle with the oil pressure switch connection it goes off. Obviously something to do with it. Maybe as I cleaned the connection out with wd40 it may take a bit of time to settle down. You cure one issue and another starts lol. More advice is always gladly taken. The more I learn off advice from people of here the more I enjoy messing with cars which has never really been of interest to me in the past. I suppose you just need confidence to try things. The Corsa C engine is a good one to mess with as most things are really accessible and cheap also!!! Again,cheers for the advice.

Comment

Can I just ask, it wasn't the electrical connection you cleaned with WD40 was it?
                Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

I cleaned all old oil off around the old switch so maybe a bit of wd40 could have got in the connection I suppose. Was driy and clean. Didn't put wd directly into connection. Any reason why this would harm it?
                  Last edited by ivan36drago; 27-02-2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ivan36drago View Post
                    I cleaned all old oil off around the old switch so maybe a bit of wd40 could have got in the connection I suppose. Was driy and clean. Didn't put wd directly into connection. Any reason why this would harm it?
                    Not 100% sure on it, bit I have read threads advising against using wd40 on electrical connections.
                    It can dry to a sticky residue too
                    Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

Ok Thanks for that. I think have a look for some cleaner you can use on electrics.

Comment

Comment

Currently in the garage having the oil leak attended to. Update to follow. Might help someone else out when finally the mechanic gets to the bottom of it. Disconnecting the battery got rid of the car and spanner light (one less problem).

Comment

Oh dear!!! Went in for a heater matrix flush, oil leak and coolant change but came out after having head gasket, timing chain, water pump etc done.
                            Showed no sign of head gasket gone apart from heater not very hot. Caught early so not to much damage done except in my wallet. At least it has had an engine refurb now and should run ok.

Comment

Seen you coming by the sounds of it

Comment

Working...
                              X