X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B] Corsa b crankshaft turns by hand then locks

Hi all

Greetings from South Africa.

Please help me with some advice? I own a 2002 Opel Corsa B UTE (we call it a bakkie in South Africa). C14SE engine. I tried to replace the timing belt over the weekend but struggled to get the crankshaft pulley bolt loose. In my ignorant wisdom, I forced it and all that happened was that the pulley clicked (belt moved on the camshaft pulley so I assume it jumped a gear). Not taken notice of this at the time, I figured I'll put everything back and try another time.

Tried to start the engine but it only swung, almost as if it wasn't getting spark. Checked the plugs and they were full of petrol. Tried to swing it again and the engine backfired out of the exhaust with a huge black cloud (petrol?). Thereafter, I could turn the motor by hand for only about 180 degrees, then the crankshaft locks.

I figure that the timing is out. I have now been able to remove the belt (cause the engine is locked so the bolt was easier to move, go figure) but the crankshaft still only turns about 180 degrees and then locks again.

It's almost as if it is stuck in gear but the gearbox is in neutral. The clunk sound it makes when the engine locks is on the gearbox side of the engine.

I want to set the timing to rule out any piston hitting a valve but cannot get the crank to turn enough to the timing marks.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

JJ Eales

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeales02; 20-02-2018, 06:56 PM.

I would say you've bent the valves when you put the belt back on and turned it over on the key. When you put the belt back on you should of turned the engine over with a socket on the crankshaft pulley. You would of felt the lock up.

Comment

Originally posted by Restorer View Post
      I would say you've bent the valves when you put the belt back on and turned it over on the key. When you put the belt back on you should of turned the engine over with a socket on the crankshaft pulley. You would of felt the lock up.
      Restorer, thank you for your reply. Out of all the people that have viewed the post, you are the only one who has taken the time to reply.

I found the problem though and it's not pretty. I have broken 4 rocker arms and consequently dropped 4 valves. Luckily the engine was not running at full tilt when this happened so the damage is limited mainly to the top end of the engine. I'm waiting for the parts and then I have to figure out how to put everything back together again. Should be interesting....

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Out of interest what engine code is the corsa .
        Because in the UK a 2002 would be a corsa c double cam chain driven.

Comment

Sorry skip that just reread your post it's the 1.4 belt driven .

Comment

Working...
          X