X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Corsa C 1.0 12v 2004 - Detonation

Hi All,

first post so go easy on me

Bought a 1.0 12v Corsa c at the weekend for my boy to learn to drive in. Carried out a service on Sunday as I thought it was running rough (even for a three cylinder).

Took the plugs out and saw this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3621.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	111682

Plug at the bottom was closest to the coil pack connector.

Car doesn't run any better with new plugs either........I haven't read out any fault codes as I don't have a scan device.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Col

I'd be inclined to check the cylinder compressions first.

You mention fault codes - is the engine management light on? You can check the codes without diagnostic kit on these, press both the brake and accelerator pedals then turn the ignition key to 2 position. The EML will flash any codes stored.

The snag is it will flash all codes even if they are old ones, you need diagnostic kit to delete the codes. Opcom is a cheap and effective tool if you have a laptop to install it on (though it can be a pain to get going on Windows 10 machines - you may need to do a safe boot and disable driver authentication protocol.)

Tip - put your location up in your profile, if someone close has a diagnostic kit they may be willing to check the codes for you.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Hi Taurus,

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

I'm not the most mechanically minded - servicing is my DIY limit, but no, there are no EML lights on, no warning lights at all.

Cheers

Comment

Stating the obvious - if you've only just bought it any chance of taking back to where you got it from? Even a private sale has to fulfil the basic principle that the item is fit for purpose, unless it is clearly sold as spares or repair.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I doubt very much theres any chance of taking it back.

I'll check the cylinder compression, probably on Thursday and post back the findings.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Taurus,

Brought the car in to work today, one of the lads is an ex Vauxhall tech, he took one look and said it's running better than some I've seen. We are going to put an endoscope in the third cylinder (right side) and pressure test it just to be sure.

Cheers

Col

Comment

Be interested to see what you find.

Comment

Hi Taurus,

Didn't find anything out of the ordinary other than the wrong type of spark plug being fitted.

Apart from the 'rough idle' and a little vibration from idle through to around 1500 rpm when accelerating, the car drives very well for its age.

The challenge i have now is the water ingress in the drivers side....from reading around, it looks like the well known brake servo issue. I can strip the car out but removing the servo and resealing it is something i'll need to hand over to someone with a bit more mechanically minded than me.

Thanks again for the quick responses though, much appreciated.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                X