No announcement yet.

1.4 petrol popping / misfiring when idling and very bad fuel consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] 1.4 petrol popping / misfiring when idling and very bad fuel consumption

Hi all

my sons Corsa b 1.4 sport is popping or misfiring when idling and stinking of fuel and really bad fuel consumption.

what are the most common likely issues to be ?

Thanks

vin

Best thing to do is scrap it and buy a d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No point spending money on it they're worth nothing nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by Vinpetrol View Post
        Hi all

my sons Corsa b 1.4 sport is popping or misfiring when idling and stinking of fuel and really bad fuel consumption.

what are the most common likely issues to be ?

Thanks

vin
        It can be a few things spluttering and stuttering but good news is you can check a fair few first and decide to change if it appears worn / damage.

You may want to see if it can be scanned with an OBD 2 scanner. As that may point you to direction

1) Spark plugs - Have a look in the spark plug wells to see if any oil has got down there. If not inspect them and see condition. (Note if oil is in Wells clean them out first before removing spark plugs)

1.1) Check spark plug coils / coil pack make sure they are not damaged

2) Check for vacuum leaks - which is basically a slight hole in a hose or a loose hose. You should here a suckling type noise.

3) Check Air filter in box. If it's really dirty that could be done with a change

4) Throttle could have build up on it and need a cleaning with some throttle and intake cleaner

4) Maf sensor (mass air flow) that could do with a clean with proper MAF cleaner . Be careful with this as the sensor inside is very delicate

5) Fuel injectors could be clogged - You can be a fuel injector cleaner that goes into petrol tank to try help with that. But may need to replace if problem to far gone

I know it seems like a shopping list of things to do but just work.from the smallest to the biggest job. And take pictures and post if your not sure about things

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BlackEditionSam View Post
          No point spending money on it they're worth nothing nowadays

its a Corsa forum , for all versions . I suggest if you don't like Corsa bs don't bother posting on threads with questions relating to them unless you've got something constructive to say .

Vin

Comment

its a Corsa forum , for all versions . I suggest if you don't like Corsa bs don't bother posting on threads with questions relating to them unless you've got something constructive to say .

Vin
            Yeah I don't think sam meant it like that. Since u can't judge tone on via writing it may have.seemed.short. but I belive he.meant if to fix the problem was going to cost a substantial amount.then yes.it may not be worth the.time.and money. But have a look at my post and it's defiantly a start [emoji106]

Comment

Point taken ! Beggars can't be choosers Il take any advice right now , constructive or not !No offence meant Sam CheersVin

Comment

Point taken ! Beggars can't be choosers Il take any advice right now , constructive or not !No offence meant Sam CheersVin
                It's all good here lol. Not too sure if you have considered this. But someone told.me to do it and it.helps so much. But videos! Someone told me to just sign up to YouTube and then you can post videos of how your car is for.people to see. Now since you said you have a soon I would assume he is all clued up with all the latest apps etc. But it has done.me.wonder for my gf car and my moms and dads cars. So you may want to consider that as another branch to diagnose your car

Comment

Originally posted by everson38 View Post
                  It can be a few things spluttering and stuttering but good news is you can check a fair few first and decide to change if it appears worn / damag

Thanks Everson for the quick reply

You may want to see if it can be scanned with an OBD 2 scanner. As that may point you to direction

What is an obd 2 scanner? How can I find out if the car can be scanned?

1) Spark plugs - Have a look in the spark plug wells to see if any oil has got down there. If not inspect them and see condition. (Note if oil is in Wells clean them out first before removing spark plugs)

These have just been changed

1.1) Check spark plug coils / coil pack make sure they are not damaged

Coil pack was next on my list

2) Check for vacuum leaks - which is basically a slight hole in a hose or a loose hose. You should here a suckling type
                  noise.

Will do this tomorrow hopefully when it's less windy!

3) Check Air filter in box. If it's really dirty that could be done with a change

It has been fitted with an induction kit before my son got it and I've read elsewhere this might cause over fuelling. I was going to try and get an original air box and filter somewhere and put it back to original spec to see if this helps.

4) Throttle could have build up on it and need a cleaning with some throttle and intake cleaner

Is it easy to locate ? I thought it would have electronic ignition

4) Maf sensor (mass air flow) that could do with a clean with proper MAF cleaner . Be careful with this as the sensor inside is very delicate

This has been replaced by local garage. I've read in the forum elsewhere that a Bosch one should be used as the other after market ones can be troublesome so if this is the case it might be worth replacing with a Bosch one.

5) Fuel injectors could be clogged - You can be a fuel injector cleaner that goes into petrol tank to try help with that. But may need to replace if problem to far gone

This has been done .

I know it seems like a shopping list of things to do but just work.from the smallest to the biggest job. And take pictures and post if your not sure about things

Comment

Originally posted by everson38 View Post
                    It's all good here lol. Not too sure if you have considered this. But someone told.me to do it and it.helps so much. But videos! Someone told me to just sign up to YouTube and then you can post videos of how your car is for.people to see. Now since you said you have a soon I would assume he is all clued up with all the latest apps etc. But it has done.me.wonder for my gf car and my moms and dads cars. So you may want to consider that as another branch to diagnose your car

great idea

what would you suggest ? Posting it on you tube with a link from it to the forum?

cheers

vin

Comment

Comment

All car built after 1992 I belive will have and OBD 2 port for scanning the car

Comment

great idea

what would you suggest ? Posting it on you tube with a link from it to the forum?

cheers

vin
                          Yeah that's I do. Most people now a days will have the YouTube app on their phones. So 9nce done I would record the engine , talk through what you think. Record the exhaust as you can see.how rough it idles.from.there also. You just get to speak and show clearly which.is sometimes.hard to do with words. If not sure just type in how to sign up to YouTube on Google someone on YouTube will have a video lol

Comment

Also I know I'm. Throwing a lot at you and probably already been done but have you check your engine to see if.engine.oil level is correct / and or no leaks

Comment

Blackeditionsam was a bit abrupt. Of course there comes a time where its not worth spending money on an older car.But this depends on whats wrong and how much it will cost to fix. If its a rust free car then even an engine swop might be viable! And as for getting a D, well that is a completely different class of car to the B.Significantly bigger, heavier, more complex, and in some ways not as well made. A nice B has an appeal of its own.

You tube is a good source of diagnosing problems, either by searching for similar problems that others have had, or posting your own video . (Its not difficult) But the chances of someone seeing your video in a short enough time span to be of help is remote, but it can help to post one ,then link to it on forums like this. But I would of though a video of a car running roughly would not, on its own, be much help in diagnosis.

As everson has pointed out there are a number of possibilities . If the engine is running on just 3 cylinders (on a 4 cylinder car!) this could give the symptoms you describe, including the petrol smell and the fix could be as simple as a new set of spark plugs. Try this first. Check the condition of the old plugs as this can help diagnose other problems. If one is wet with petrol this is the cylinder that is not firing. A new plug may sort it. If one is very oily the problem may be more serious. If they are all black and sooty the fuel/air mixture is too fuel rich.
                              Last edited by Bugman; 09-07-2017, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X