Engine troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [All Models] Engine troubles

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I have a 2001 Model Vauxhall Corsa 1.2l Petrol.

Recently I noticed that there was oil leaking out of the underside. I inspected the oil sump, oil pump, engine block and oil lines etc. To no avail.

The engine is empty of oil and there is a milky white residue on the top of the oil filler cap. This leads me to believe that the head gasket has failed.

However, I had another look (see photo attached) and noticed oil leakage from a nipple which looks to be a pressure relief valve (I may be wrong on this).

If anyone could offer advice or has had a similar issue, then I'd love to hear from you.

Regards.

Originally posted by alfieleslie2000 View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I have a 2001 Model Vauxhall Corsa 1.2l Petrol.

Recently I noticed that there was oil leaking out of the underside. I inspected the oil sump, oil pump, engine block and oil lines etc. To no avail.

The engine is empty of oil and there is a milky white residue on the top of the oil filler cap. This leads me to believe that the head gasket has failed.

However, I had another look (see photo attached) and noticed oil leakage from a nipple which looks to be a pressure relief valve (I may be wrong on this).

If anyone could offer advice or has had a similar issue, then I'd love to hear from you.

Regards.
    Hey Alfie

Sorry.to hear your having troubles. The picture you have attached is the oil pressure switch which is a common fail. Very easy and cheap to repair. I would change this first and do an oil and.oil filter change. The milky residue is a sign of head gasket failure BUT not always, some.times it is.just condensation. But I would work from a process of elimination. Are you loosing Amy. Coolant? Is your reservoir low?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by everson38 View Post
      Hey Alfie

Sorry.to hear your having troubles. The picture you have attached is the oil pressure switch which is a common fail. Very easy and cheap to repair. I would change this first and do an oil and.oil filter change. The milky residue is a sign of head gasket failure BUT not always, some.times it is.just condensation. But I would work from a process of elimination. Are you loosing Amy. Coolant? Is your reservoir low?

Thanks for the swift reply, the coolant reservoir seems to be maintaining a stable level as far as I know, but I am keeping check of it to see if it changes.

Let's hope it's the pressure switch, it's a tad more accessible than the head gasket [emoji23]

I'll give that a try, thank you for the advice I really appreciate.

Best wishes.

Comment

Oil emulsion is common on these engines if they are used for short journeys. So long as the coolant level is constant that's not a huge problem. There is a seal behind the water pump which is part of the timing cover gasket that can fail, this mixes coolant into the oil which looks like hg failure.

Replace the oil pressure switch ASAP as oil in the wiring loom will cause problems with te lambda sensors.
        Last edited by Taurus; 30-06-2017, 10:03 PM.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thanks for the swift reply, the coolant reservoir seems to be maintaining a stable level as far as I know, but I am keeping check of it to see if it changes.

Let's hope it's the pressure switch, it's a tad more accessible than the head gasket [emoji23]

I'll give that a try, thank you for the advice I really appreciate.

Best wishes.
          Not a problem mate. What we are all here for. Just not with put in the new switch just take your time and screw it in by hand and then snug it down , whilst being careful to not cross thread it, as the hassle to rectify what should have been a 5 minute job lol. Keep you eye on the coolant level and.lets us know how u get on after the.replacement

Comment

Hi You also mention the engine is 'empty of oil'. I may be stating the obvious but the oil does need to be kept topped up.All engines consume some oil, and a 16 year old engine may use more than most.

This engine only contains 3 litres or so of oil. The difference between max and min on the dip stick is about a litre of that, only leaving 2 litres on minimum and if its not even showing on the dipstick maybe only 1.5 litres, or for all you know even less than this. Even quite acceptable oil consumption for its age can mean it needs topping up between oil changes.

If the engine has done more than 5000 miles since the last service/oil and filter change or you dont know when it was last done get this done , using a decent quality oil filter. And keep a regular check on the oil level. Once a week , or before a long journey. This will give you a better idea of oil consumption, and would give advance warning of any serious problem.
            Last edited by Bugman; 01-07-2017, 09:17 AM.

Comment

If the head gasket was gone badly oil would be in the expansion bottle try putting some K-Seal permanent head gasket repair in from Halfords to try eliminate the problem as if the head gasket has gone very minor it will seal it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Changed oil pressure switch today, engine is holding oil now and isn't leaking which is good. However, an emissions system fault light has come on. Is it possible this could be caused by oil dropping onto or contaminating the lambda sensor?

Many thanks.

Comment

Changed oil pressure switch today, engine is holding oil now and isn't leaking which is good. However, an emissions system fault light has come on. Is it possible this could be caused by oil dropping onto or contaminating the lambda sensor?

Many thanks.

Hey glad ur 50 percent sorted. That's seems highly plausible. You may want to hit it with some brake clean and then clear the code 8f you have an obd 2 scanner and see if it returns. But also I would type your problem in on Google / YouTube to fully rule out any other possibilities

Comment

Many thanks.

The ecu reads the lambda sensor as a resistance rather than voltage. Oil in the wiring changes the resistance of the wiring so the signal from the lambda is corrupted - so yes, as you say, could well be the issue.
                    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
                    X