Car chugging at idle OR maintained speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Car chugging at idle OR maintained speed

Hi guys - had a browse around but can't find anything so I'm in need of some help with this one please... 08 plate, 51k miles, petrol 1.4

First problem was: When driving at a constant speed of anywhere between 50-70mph on motorway (with obviously a small amount of throttle) I would get this lagging/chugging feeling, like it was struggling, until I give it more gas

Second problem: The car will feel like it's about to stall doing 20mph in 3rd, or going up a slight hill in 2nd

Third problem: When idle the car chugs, until I give it some gas

Also, my fan only blows out at max setting (4), but I assume this is resistor/fuse related and nothing to do with the main problems here?

Recent work includes (and I have full service history from 1 year ago +)
    - Oil filter
    - Air filter
    - Oil pressure switch
    - Stabiliser link bar

Cheers in advance!
    Last edited by luke; 22-06-2017, 06:41 AM.

No sign of any fault codes, EML?

The usual problem with hesitation at light throttle settings is a sticky EGR valve.

The fan issue is the resistor.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
      No sign of any fault codes, EML?

The usual problem with hesitation at light throttle settings is a sticky EGR valve.

The fan issue is the resistor.
      It looked like code 58155, but obviously this must be incorrect - will update later.

Hesitation at light throttle =/= same problem as chugging at idle? Cheers..

Comment

Originally posted by luke View Post
        Hesitation at light throttle =/= same problem as chugging at idle? Cheers..
        Not necessarily - chugging at idle can be due to an over-rich mix, say due to a failing coolant temp sensor. But when you have hesitation at motorway speeds on a light throttle and idle problems then I'd check the EGR as a matter of course. As ever there can be a wide range of possible causes, just start with the most common one and rule that out first.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Here is the fault code? What do you read it as...?

Comment

Sorry - I can't make head nor tail of that series of flashes. Doesn't make any sense to me - maybe someone else can figure it out?

Can you get hold of a diagnostic kit - see if you can read the code that way?

Comment

So the diagnostics wouldn't even pick anything up - We even unplugged some cable next to the engine (it began with L, maybe) and it didn't even pick that up... so hardly reliable here.

We tried a new coil pack, and it seemed to pull better, but it still happened - at one point I was in 2nd, flat out on the throttle, and NOTHING! (But it didn't go in to limp board apparently)

Garage thinks it could be throttle position related, or maybe the EGR valve.. Really stuck here!

Comment

Hmmm....when did this issue start? It wasn't after a period of heavy rain by any chance? The lack of diagnostic connection may be down to the kit not being compatible, but there's a known issue with the D model due to the placement of the ecu. Check the connections on it, make sure there's no sign of damp in there. I hope not because it tends to need replacement if it's got wet.

Comment

Only had the car two weeks. Bought it from a dealer/trader. The problems got progressively worse. I explained the problem to the dealer, who recommended cleaning the EGR or replacing if that didnt work.Sounds to me like he knew there was a problem!

Comment

If you've only had it two weeks and it was bought from a dealer then it's his problem. Even if sold with no warranty goods sold have to be fit for purpose. If he isn't helpful contact trading standards. It may be simpler to reject the car and ask for a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                      If you've only had it two weeks and it was bought from a dealer then it's his problem. Even if sold with no warranty goods sold have to be fit for purpose. If he isn't helpful contact trading standards. It may be simpler to reject the car and ask for a refund.
                      Hey I agree with Taurus I would probably contact trading standards if he being funny and try go for refund as it appears you have time on your side

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

So what happened to this thread then, problem sorted, or car replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by corsa402 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by corsa402 View Post
                            Yes I am curious to know

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X