Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Plastic water hose connector snapped

Hi,

The plastic water hose has snapped on my car and dumped water/coolant everywhere.

I know the best solution would be to replace the water pump, but as were expecting a baby later this year i dont really want to spend money out on a new pump if i can buy a replacement metal hose connector (assuming i can get the plastic thread out of the pump). My wife only uses the car to drive 1 mile each way to the train station.

So my question is, does anyone know how to remove the plastic threaded section that is currently in the water pump?

I am going to be buying the following connector if i can get it out.

VAUXHALL CORSA C WATER PUMP CONNECTOR PIPE (55564351) GENUINE NEW 2000-2006 | eBay

thanks for your help

Mark

It's a common problem and Vauxhall should have issued a recall on all cars fitted with those pumps. You're lucky, many often over heated and wrecked the engine.

Only fix is a new pump I'm afraid.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - [url]http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html#post1534[/url]

Comment

Lots of people manage to remove the plastic connector and fit the one you've pictured

Comment

To save repeating myself...http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/sho....html?p=779237

Some old site to do with Corsas that I used to belong to
        1972 Viva restoration thread - [url]http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html#post1534[/url]

Comment

Well i have managed to a 'cowboy bodge job' ... i took a hack saw to cut the plastic tube just above the nut, where the hose connects to... drilled an 8mm hole in the water pump and tapped in the plastic nipple bit that the hose connects to... a bit of sealant and jobs a gd'un. seems to be working ok so far.

Comment

When mine snapped off, I visited the local plumbers merchant and bought a brass replacement.

Comment

How did anyone manage to get the snapped of plastic fitting that's left inside the pump out. Via bolt extractor?

Comment

Hi welcome to the forum

There are various methods. If you have a bolt extractor of the correct size that might work .But it might not, so possibly not worth buying one specially.

. Or you could try using a small file or mini hacksaw blade to cut two slots, one either side in inside the bore of the plastic part , then use a large flat screw driver, or some sort of flat bar , that will fit between the slots, to unscrew it. You might be able to just hammer the screwdriver etc into the plastic to make its own slot , but that increases the chances of damaging the pump. Or maybe make an old screwdiver etc red hot and let it melt its own slots into the plastic. . Then let it cool before unscrewing the fitting. But probably not a good idea to try and burn the whole fitting out with a blow torch.

If this doesnt work you could cut the side of the bore plastic with a mini hacksaw blade (or grind it using a dremel type drill ) on one side of the bore until you have almost reached the metal thread. Or extend the use of your red hot 'poker ' to do something similar. This may release enough tension that you can then prise out the plastic.

But try not to damage the metal thread or it is more likely to leak. Also try to avoid any plastic swarf going into the pump. One method is to liberally coat a piece of rag with grease or maybe vaseline, and poke this down the bore before you start cutting , but leaving enough space to work .. Dont forget to leave enough rag still poking out to pull it out again afterwards, hopefully with any swarf adhering to the grease.

Another possibility is to drill out the plastic fitting with a drill that is big enough to take most out but just small enough it avoids the metal tread. Then use something pointed to pick out any remaining plastic from the metal thread . You wont be able to use the greasy rag method for the drilling (although most swarf should spiral out upwards as you drill )But you could use it when picking the threads clean.
                Last edited by Bugman; 11-01-2020, 04:31 PM.

Comment

In general, I hate 'easy-outs' (screw extractors) as it is all to easy to snap the easy-out in the broken screw, but in the case of this plastic union, there is not too much risk of doing that.
                  If you don't have a set of easy-outs, you could try tapping the tang end of a small file into the hole and then use grips on the file to turn it anti-clockwise and remove the offending stub.

A brass replacement is the best answer - I would suggest a dab of thread lock on it before screwing in the new union.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X