Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [All Models] Best oil

Hi,
    Could someone tell me which is the best oil for my 2005 VAUXHALL CORSA LIFE 16V TWINPORT (1229cc PETROL, 5 Door HATCHBACK). I've looked at the online checkers but they don't make sense to me.
    Thanks

Ninko

For that year you would usually use a 5W/30 fully synthetic, or a 10W/40 semi-synthetic. Either works fine. Halfords do a Vauxhall specific 5W/30 synthetic oil in a purple container that would do you.

Make sure you use a good quality filter. Cheap ones can break up or deform.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for your reply.
      Can you recommend another oil brand, I don't tend to trust Halfords quality.
      Thanks

Ninko

Comment

Castrol Mgnatec 10W40 or just ordinary Castrol GTX 10W40

A local motor factor whom I know for years (old school guy) says a rep for castrol told him the magnatec and the 'ordinary' are the same anyway.

Not the same price though

Filters - MANN or Hengst only

oil and filter change every 6000 miles

Comment

There's nothing wrong with Halfords oil. I watch out for when they have it on offer and buy enough to last me for a while. I've run engines over 100k with no problems using it.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Could I use this oil, Castrol Edge TITANIUM 0W-30 FST Synthetic Engine Oil 0W30 1 Litre 1L and if so, is it any better then say Halfords?
            Thanks

Ninko

Comment

Originally posted by Ninko View Post
              Could I use this oil, Castrol Edge TITANIUM 0W-30 FST Synthetic Engine Oil 0W30 1 Litre 1L and if so, is it any better then say Halfords?
              Thanks

Ninko
              Yes - you can use that. Look on here for Opie oils to see if you can get a better price buying that way.

Is it better than Halfords? People can get very anal about oil so let's just say it's entirely your choice. If I can buy an oil that keeps my engine going for over 100k with no problems then for me the only issue is how much do I want to spend for the name on the tin?

Comment

If the oil meets the standards set down by the manufacturer and is the right viscosity, then there really should be no difference.

**BUT I stand to be corrected on that.

Only thing may be that it is not as effective as a detergent - do not know if the standard covers 'cleaning ability' of an oil.

Comment

Personally, when in Bulgaria I buy Kaufland own brand oil (a German supermarket chain),made in germany and in the uk, Halfords. I go by the viscosity and I also check that the codes and specifications at least match those of similar big brand oils. The price saving is such that you can often get a better specification for less money.

With well known brands you are often paying a premium for their marketing, brand recognition etc. Same as Zuluman I stand to be corrected but I believe a reputable own brand oil could easily be the same stuff off the same production line.
                  And sometimes the lesser known manufacturers such as silkolene - now owned by Fuchs, are better than the 'big boys'.

Oil specification has come a long way in the last few years. Much of this is to allow for the mega long service intervals now in vogue. Almost any oil you can buy now with a 5/30 or 10/40 viscosity will exceed the quality of the oil in your car when it left the factory back in 2005. IMO its better to use a reasonably decent oil and do more frequent oil and filter changes rather than buy an expensive brand of a higher specification than your car needs but neglect oil changes.

Comment

Hi Guys

You might find this good bedtime reading

Oil & Manufacturing – Conspiracy? No, it’s Basic Economics | Oilem - Lifting the Lid on Fuel & Oil Additive Market

Do Fuel and Oil Additives Really Work? | Oilem - Lifting the Lid on Fuel & Oil Additive Market

I've used their products for years now in all our vehicles Transit Van, Audi A6's, Peugeot 2008 & Maserati Gran Turismo all excellent stuff and now in the wife's Tigra B

Tone

Comment

Working...
                    X