Lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Lifters

Hi all when my corsa is cold I can here the lifters for a ple of seconds I thought may be return valve on oil filter housing anyone else no of this problem
    07 1.4 sxi
    thanks

I have a 05 corsa C which does this.

on the one litre The oil flows to the head through a one way 'valve' - a ball with a spring behind it.

The idea is that oil is retained in the head when he engine is off

Dont know if the same on yours

Possibly this could be stuck with gunge.

You could try and regularly change the oil to remove dirt . in an event it is good practice to regulary change the oil esp in the chain driven models - Do not use a flush as it may dislodge dirt and block the oil galleries

Comment

Possible where is the one way valve ???

Comment

Are you sure it's the lifters and not the chain. Both can rattle on cold starts. A slight tapping from the lifters isn't a problem as long as they quieten within a couple of seconds.

Regular oil changes helps. Use genuine filters as well. Check the oil used in the engine is the right spec.

The valve is in the engine, it's not something you can remove and replace.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Possible chain tensioner as that is works from oil pressure

Comment

The problem in relation t the chain is that the oil feed to the chain is usually very narrow. ( at least on certain engine models)

If the oil is not regularly changed, this narrow hole will block with dirt.

The chain will not be lubricated and will wear causing the noise.

The oil change cleans the hole and the galleries.

Oil lubricates, cools and cleans - the latter due to detergent agents in the oil which lose their effectiveness over time or the dirtier the engine.

Hence the regular changes

This would also help with the tensioner but less liely to be the problem i woul d think

Comment

I have the same problem on my daughters 1.0 ecoflex, I think that it is the drain valve in the oil filter housing allowing the oil to empty when it is stood for a few hours.
              I would buy a new housing if I was 100% sure that this would be the cure.

Comment

The rattle /tappet noise is normal as ong as it stops within a few seconds.

the valve in the filter housing has nothing to do with it.

The valve we refer to above is internal to the block and in the oil gallery, which feeds the head. It is at the inerface of th block and head. It is nothing more than a ball with a spring behind it. The ball closes off against a machined surface when no oil pressure exists (i,e when engine off)

The purpose of it is to stop a complete emptying of oil from the head.

If this were the case, then there would be more of a rattle in the tappets and the chain - and thus more wear - until the supply of oil reached the head.

That valve in the filter housing is only there as a safety valve in case the filter becomes blocked. Thus, oil (albeit unfiltered) can still flow to the vital parts of the engine.

Comment

The valve that I am referring to is the one that is under the filter and lifts to drain the oil as the plastic filter cap is removed during oil and filter renewal.
                  The valve that you are referring to is the one at the top of the oil filter centre tube.
                  I think that the drain valve is not sealing correctly and is by passing slowly over a period of a couple of hours and emptying the filter housing, then on starting the engine the filter housing needs to fill each time before full pressure goes to the lifters and chain tensioner.

Comment

Originally posted by fireball View Post
                    The valve that I am referring to is the one that is under the filter and lifts to drain the oil as the plastic filter cap is removed during oil and filter renewal.
                    The valve that you are referring to is the one at the top of the oil filter centre tube.
                    I think that the drain valve is not sealing correctly and is by passing slowly over a period of a couple of hours and emptying the filter housing, then on starting the engine the filter housing needs to fill each time before full pressure goes to the lifters and chain tensioner.
                    How long is the engine showing signs of rattling and how long does it take for the oil pressure light to go off? When you do an oil change on these the filter housing is always empty but it only takes a second or two for the oil pressure to build up. So if yours is rattling for longer I'd suspect there's something else amiss. Check the oil filter in use as some after market ones aren't the right size and crush slightly when fitted.

If you think the housing is faulty the only real option is to fit a replacement - there are plenty available.
                    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

The valve I refer to is in the engine block and nowhere near the oil filter housing. You cannot see it unless the head is removed.

If the tappet noise is not stopping within a couple of seconds of starting, then there may be another problem.

Rattling may be a worn chain.

Is the oil light going out as Tarus suggests?

You can remove the whole oil filter housing and inspect and clean it

I had a case once where the plastic part of an old cheap filter had lodged in the inside of the oil filter housing screw cap.

Another filter was fitted and did not sit too well.

As stated, cheap (and not so cheap filters) sometimes cause problems by not fitting correctly

Use MANN or Hengst filters.

Regular oil chages at 5000 or 6000 miles is the life of these engines. The oil also cleanses the dirt out of the galleries

Comment

Working...
                      X