2003 Corsa Design - problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [All Models] 2003 Corsa Design - problems

I purchased a 2003 Corsa Design last week. The guy told us that it hadn't been in use since October 2016 and had been standing still. The car had to be jump started as the battery wasn't holding any charge. On Friday I had to replace the alternator. It also has a few other problems and as a woman driver I have no idea where to start.

1. The engine management light comes on intermittently as I am driving along causing the car to cut out for a few seconds before pulling again - is this a problem with the catalytic converter?
    2. Heater problem - no hot air from blowers - the gauge shows 80 and then drops back to zero.
    3. Central locking - the key fob will not operate the central locking, battery in fob has been changed and still nothing, the car does drive, so unsure whether this is having a detrimental effect on the immobiliser
    4. Mayo on the inside of the oil cap yet the dipstick hasn't
    5. Mileage recorder jumps to 0 and the total mileage will jump from 96000 to 26000

The corsa is booked in to replace the coil overs in two weeks time, can I wait until then service the car?

Many thanks

The thing you need to check urgently are the coolant and oil levels. Some mayo on the oil cap is common on them but the coolant gauge fluctuations could point to problems with the coolant. The chain can engines won't tolerate overheating. They have a weak spot behind the water pump where the gasket can fail causing coolant to contaminate the oil.

The engine management light could be all sorts of things so get the codes read before jumping to conclusions.

If you bought it from a dealer register the faults as it is an offence to sell a car that is unfit for purpose. You may need a conversation with trading standards.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
      The thing you need to check urgently are the coolant and oil levels. Some mayo on the oil cap is common on them but the coolant gauge fluctuations could point to problems with the coolant. The chain can engines won't tolerate overheating. They have a weak spot behind the water pump where the gasket can fail causing coolant to contaminate the oil.

The engine management light could be all sorts of things so get the codes read before jumping to conclusions.

If you bought it from a dealer register the faults as it is an offence to sell a car that is unfit for purpose. You may need a conversation with trading standards.
      ThanksTaurus,

I check the oil and coolant levels on a daily basis and all is well there. Bought privately so no recourse.

Comment

Working...
      X