Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Oil leak under cambelt and under auto gearbox

Hi,

I recently bought a Corsa D 2012 auto for my wife, its done 65k. when I looked under the car I noticed oil on the bottom of the sump where the cam belt is (O/S), it isn't dripping or anything but it looks quite fresh. I also noticed on the N/S under what I think is the auto gearbox another oil patch on the bottom of the gearbox. When I asked the garage why there was oil on the bottom he responded "its the messy mechanics". Does anyone think that these leaks could be serious or nothing to worry about because if so I will be asking the garage whom I bought from to cover the costs of repair.

Thank you

Comment

Yes it does thanks very much, I think I have a transmission leak on the N/S to so hopefully that won't be to much either.

Comment

If it is the chain can engine then it won't have a cambelt, only the aux belt running the alternator and water pump.

Oil on the drivers side may come from the timing cover or from the oil pressure switch, they often leak. If it is the switch get it changed before oil seeps into the loom and affects the lambda sensors.

Oil on the transmission side could be the crank seal but more likely careless oil changes as both the filter and filler are on that side.

But you really need to say which engine.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Yes I think it is a chain actually, it's a 1.4 petrol s.e auto 1398cc. I hope that the gearbox is just a sloppy oil change as you say, that's what the dealer told me. With regards to the oil on the bottom of the sump I hope that's just a small fix to.

Comment

I'd wipe it clean and then keep an eye on where any fresh signs of seepage show. A small seep isn't the end of the world as the amount of oil leaking probably won't even show on the dipstick. It's more annoying than anything else. I may all be down to sloppy oil changes because oil has a habit of transferring across engines and showing up some distance from where the original spill / leak was.

If the oil pressure switch is leaking at all then get it changed. Once oil seeps down into the wiring loom it changes the resistance on the lambda sensors and that causes problems. However, a leaking oil switch doesn't usually show up as oil on the sump so I'd guess it's not that that's the cause.
            1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Ok thanks for your advice, got it booked in for the tracking to be done so will have it checked out at the same time.
              Last edited by WRule1989; 13-03-2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

It was the crankshaft seal and pulley according to my garage, the ordered the parts and replaced it. However, now the leak is even worse than before!. Before no oil was dripping onto the floor but now within the space of 24h I'm getting a patch the size of a dinner plate!. Its going back again Monday as I'm obviously not happy. The guy on the phone said it could be the crankshaft itself or something but I think he is trying to put the blame back on the car, which i won't accept as the leak is 100 times worse after they touched it.

Comment

Where is the oil coming from? On the chain cam engines the oil pump sits in the timing cover - it has to be aligned perfectly. If not it causes problems. Another possibility is that most workshops don't drop the sump when they take the timing cover off, that can throw the cover out of line when it is replaced - which in turn can affect the oil pump alignment, or as I've found quite a few times, you get an oil leak where the lower edge of the timing cover mates with the sump. There is a three way joint between the sump, main block and timing cover that can be tricky to get oil tight if it isn't done properly.

Several possibilities but you can only know by inspecting the engine and seeing where the oil is seeping from.

Comment

The oil is running down the front of the Sump on the left side when looking from the front and forming droplets on the front bolt which is one of the bolts which hold the bottom of the sump on I think. When looking from above I can see near the top on the belt that there is also oil in that area. As you might be able to tell I don't know much about cars so hard for me to explain. I'm just concerned about the amount of oil now leaking.

Comment

That sounds like either the joint between the timing cover/block/sump - or the oil pump seal in the timing cover.

Comment

Thanks will be useful to have this in mind as I won't let them try and say there is another separate issue because the leak before never formed patches on the ground. It's only started leaking really bad since they worked on it and you can see the oil is fresh because it's light brown droplets.

Comment

Turns out that it was some left over oil from when the mechanic replaced the seal. He said that it was leaking badly before and was prepared to change the seal again but said it wasn't needed as its oil tight, fingers crossed he's right!.

Comment

I had a similar problem and it ended up being the oil pressure switch. Oil leaking all over driver side and enwde up being that

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X