Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boot lock mechanism disabled - how can I open boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [All Models] Boot lock mechanism disabled - how can I open boot?

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago my key snapped in the boot lock due to the cold. I had a locksmith come out and cut a new key, but he was unable t retrieve the broken bit from the boot as was jammed. He then disabled the latch inside the boot lock so that it would shut and not be able to be simply lifted open by an opportunist walking by. Problem now is, how do I open the boot so that I can take the old lock off and replace with a new one (and therefore will have a different key for the boot to rest of car). Is there a way to open it from the inside? The locksmith had to undo some bolts/screws to open it up and expose the latch and these were on the inside of the car - are they reachable if I were to climb into the boot by folding down the back seats? And would this give me enough room and angle to reattach the latch?

I think my corsa is a c type? It is a 52 plate, 'corsa climate'.

Thanks in advance.

Hi
    Welcome to the forum.
    Sorry I have never owned a C and my D is 1500 miles away from me at present. But I would think its likely you can access the lock from within the boot by removing some form of inner panel. You cannot be the first person who has needed to get the boot open in this way.
    Do a google search on corsa C boot lock but searching on images.This may help find something. A few link to a workshop manual with diagrammes, but tbh its not that helpful, just basic 'remove access panel' type of instructions.But I dont know if the panel can be removed with the boot lid shut. If not you might be able to access and unbolt the metal catch that the lock clamps onto.

Are you saying the locksmith was unable to remove the broken key from the lock barrel. It might be worth persevering with this before buying a replacement barrel and having to use two keys. Professionals cant spend too long fiddling with bits at customers expense and then looking fools when they fail. But you may find that by lubricating the lock with something like wd 40,trying bits of wire or very fine tweezers, banging it down sharply face down etc you might succeed. Worth a try.

Let us know how you get on
    Last edited by Bugman; 27-02-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
      Hi
      Welcome to the forum.
      Sorry I have never owned a C and my D is 1500 miles away from me at present. But I would think its likely you can access the lock from within the boot by removing some form of inner panel. You cannot be the first person who has needed to get the boot open in this way.
      Do a google search on corsa C boot lock but searching on images.This may help find something. A few link to a workshop manual with diagrammes, but tbh its not that helpful, just basic 'remove access panel' type of instructions.But I dont know if the panel can be removed with the boot lid shut. If not you might be able to access and unbolt the metal catch that the lock clamps onto.

Are you saying the locksmith was unable to remove the broken key from the lock barrel. It might be worth persevering with this before buying a replacement barrel and having to use two keys. Professionals cant spend too long fiddling with bits at customers expense and then looking fools when they fail. But you may find that by lubricating the lock with something like wd 40,trying bits of wire or very fine tweezers, banging it down sharply face down etc you might succeed. Worth a try.

Let us know how you get on
      Thanks for the reply.
      He sprayed it tonnes with WD40, and had various different sized tools in it but couldnt get it out. Tbh I think he was a bit rubbish anyway, as I asked him if he needed to turn the barrel round as at the moment the key was engaged with the teeth as it was at 3 o'clock position. Did he need to turn it back to 12 so the teeth release the key - if that makes any sense at all??

He had to disabled it as otherwise it would have been left open to opportunists for 2 weeks until I could get someone else to look at it, and that wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

I climbed into the boot from inside the car, and I think I might be able to remove a panel that sits on the bottom of the boot where the catch is, which would then open up the space to be able to remove the screws from the mechanism box that would then enable me to reconnect the latch and open the boot. But I was unable to find my blasted screw driver... I have all the heads here but couldn't find the actual screw driver! Once located, I will have a go!

Then once the latch is reconnected, I'll have a go myself at removing the key using wd40 and my craft precision tweezers (extremely thin), but if not, then remove the lock and my mechanic has a magnet that he said he'll try and use.

I don't really want to replace the lock, but I am on a time constraint so need to get it done...

Comment

I 'm not sure. I assume the lock needs to be at the position where the key can normally be inserted and removed otherwise the key will be partially engaged.I dont know how it is on the C . If you could normally insert the key then turn through 90 degrees (or 180 degrees) and the key can be removed in that position I would think either position would be ok (but not part way between the two.) But if you insert the key, turn it to lock ,but the key has to return to its original orientation before it can be removed thats the position it must be in.

A magnet might work if the key is magnetic. You could try this yourself using a powerful neodymium magnet. I bought 10 for 99p including postage a while back on ebay to attach my dashcam. Chinese seller but they actually came from the netherlands in about 3 days, or uk based sellers a bit more expensive. Maplins sell them but comparatively expensive. They have other uses.

Or with the lock dismantled and the barrel removed you might be able to jar the stump loose by inertia by rapping it sharply face down on a hard surface. But unless you have a replacement available it could mean doing the job twice.
        Last edited by Bugman; 01-03-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X