Corsa b X14XE running rich and miss firing low power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Corsa b X14XE running rich and miss firing low power

Hi AllNew to the forum and new to Corsa bMy son has a 1999 Corsa 1.4 sport He is finding his way around his engine bay and is keen to learn but lacking in knowledge! He has a problem with the car . It is miss firing under load badly and seems to be running rich as a strong smell of fuel is present once it's running. It was running ok . He changed fuel filter and plugs and shortly after it developed this fault. Can anyone tell me what the common faults to check on the car are? Any help much appreciated Cheers Vin

Any sign of the engine management light coming on? (Check that it illuminates when turning the ignition on in case someone has removed the bulb.)

It would help to know the service history - eg dirty air filters can cause problems.

It could be down to weak ignition not completely burning the fuel / air mix - eg bad leads

The other possibility is that the coolant temperature sensor is failing. The ECU defaults to a rich mix for starting and leans the fuel mix out as the engine warms up. If the CTS fails the ECU doesn't know the engine is warm so it sticks to the rich mix. (Similar symptoms to when the old auto carbs used to stick on.) A dud CTS doesn't always throw a fault code. The good news is that they are cheap and an aftermarket one will do.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

hi Taurus and thanks for the reply. I love the viva by the had one for my second car would love a magnum!

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
      Any sign of the engine management light coming on? (Check that it illuminates when turning the ignition on in case someone has removed the bulb.)

No the management light isn't coming on and it does work on ignition.

It would help to know the service history - eg dirty air filters can cause problems.

air filter has also been changed , it has an induction kit would it help to run it without it to see if it makes any difference ?

It could be down to weak ignition not completely burning the fuel / air mix - eg bad leads

is there any way to check this other than fitting a new coil pack?

i thought about this and also your next option as it smells like it's over fuelling but i know it's also rough on start up and if it was running with cold start mechanism on it should start ok and then get worse as engine warms up?

The other possibility is that the coolant temperature sensor is failing. The ECU defaults to a rich mix for starting and leans the fuel mix out as the engine warms up. If the CTS fails the ECU doesn't know the engine is warm so it sticks to the rich mix. (Similar symptoms to when the old auto carbs used to stick on.) A dud CTS doesn't always throw a fault code. The good news is that they are cheap and an aftermarket one will do.
      cheers Taurus will update

Comment

Working...
      X