Water and Corsas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Water and Corsas

Hi all Set my mind at rest/give me something to watch for. Went through deep water (above kerb, water splashed up in front of car for a second until I got speed right), car made no sputters or coughs, no stalls, nothing that I noticed. Drove another few minutes, parked up to warn my friend not to take that route, drove home. Engine had been running for about 20 minutes after the water. This morning got up, car started fine, drove a bit, picked up a parcel and when I got back the car started fine but the yellow engine and red battery lights came on (BUT after I had turned the lights off and on twice as new car and I was playing). Turned engine off, started again, no warning lights. Drove 8 miles, no warning lights. I intend to check for mayonaise under the oil cap(!) later when 24 hours have passed and the engine is cold, assuming my car is condiment free, am I in the clear (and had a lucky escape)? Should I be concerned still, could there be water somewhere lurking? Only just got my car, don't want to have wrecked it already!

You're probably OK, how deep do you estimate the water as being? I think the biggest concerns would be water in the oil fill hole, or air intakes, neither should be too low down on the engine so unless it was really deep I doubt you'll see any issues.

Electronics might not like it, but a modern-ish car probably isn't too susceptible to that, I had a Saxo that soaked the alternator every time it rained (it was lowered quite far, so the plastic that sits in between the wheels and the engine bay had been removed to cope with that) and I'd simply run out of electricity unless I kept the revs up. I once had an interesting time on the M25 in the dark and had to turn my lights and stereo off as the car was struggling to keep going, I also had to sit there keeping revs up, but without the car overheating (didn't want fans kicking in, sucking more power) as I was in standstill traffic so it was a fine balance. Once it dried out it was fine again.

That said - I wouldn't make it a regular thing, it's best to avoid deep water if you are able!

Comment

Originally posted by jt999 View Post
      You're probably OK, how deep do you estimate the water as being? I think the biggest concerns would be water in the oil fill hole, or air intakes, neither should be too low down on the engine so unless it was really deep I doubt you'll see any issues. Electronics might not like it, but a modern-ish car probably isn't too susceptible to that, I had a Saxo that soaked the alternator every time it rained (it was lowered quite far, so the plastic that sits in between the wheels and the engine bay had been removed to cope with that) and I'd simply run out of electricity unless I kept the revs up. I once had an interesting time on the M25 in the dark and had to turn my lights and stereo off as the car was struggling to keep going, I also had to sit there keeping revs up, but without the car overheating (didn't want fans kicking in, sucking more power) as I was in standstill traffic so it was a fine balance. Once it dried out it was fine again. That said - I wouldn't make it a regular thing, it's best to avoid deep water if you are able!
      Thanks, the water was ??? deep, I thought it was really deep afterwards, but I'm told it couldn't have been or I would have lost control. It was over the kerb, so I'd say 6 inch where I forded it maybe? If it had sucked water in presumably it would have made itself known in the next dozen miles I've driven, especially after it had sat all night? I will do the check of the oil and if the cap has white on it I'll have the oil changed. I 100% didn't get in deep enough that it should have drank anything, but given we had lots of spray I was worried. I think so long as the car drives happily for the next few days (and no mayonaise) I am in the clear, unless anyone thinks otherwise of course!

Comment

Sounds like you got some damp into the electrics. I doubt you'd have gotten it into the sump and if the intake had sucked it up you'd have known straight away. As JT says, you're probably fine, but it's wise to tackle any standing water slowly. Best thing is a good longish drive which will allow the engine to get fully hot and air to circulate. If there are any further glitches consider spraying the electrics with WD40.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
        X