Car spanner light & limp mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Car spanner light & limp mode

Hi, my car is a vauxhall corsa 1.2 active, 12 plate. Petrol.
    Well every winter for the last 3 years my car has had this issue, when cold usually below 5 degrees Celsius when moving from 1st to 2nd gear and revving the car spanner light will come on and car will not drive normal at all. Takes ages for me to warm the engine up 20-30mins then once engine is warm the spanner light will go off once car is switched off then on again.
    This happens every morning any ideas why?
    Today wasn't cold 13degrees this morning and car did this it's very annoying as it takes ages to pick up speed.
    I have had the car checked for codes through diagnostics and nothing every appears wrong
    Car isn't due for service for 4 months either and last year it still happened after full service

Any ideas would be very useful as I'm lost
    Thankyou

The first thing is that an engine ought to be at operating temperature within 5 minutes. It sounds like your thermostat is stuck open, when they fail they usually stick open. On those engines the 'stat is built into the housing on the front of the water pump, very easy to get at and replace.

I am very surprised the place who checked the codes didn't query why it is taking so long to warm up. Pretty basic thing to check.

Last time it was serviced, did you tell them it takes half an hour to warm up?
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
      The first thing is that an engine ought to be at operating temperature within 5 minutes. It sounds like your thermostat is stuck open, when they fail they usually stick open. On those engines the 'stat is built into the housing on the front of the water pump, very easy to get at and replace.

I am very surprised the place who checked the codes didn't query why it is taking so long to warm up. Pretty basic thing to check.

Last time it was serviced, did you tell them it takes half an hour to warm up?

Hi yes I did he said some engines take a while to heat up when it's Cold and once the service is done the light will go away.. but it didn't lol I just put up with it in the end But I can't go through months of doing this again its very irritating

I think I may have to go to another garage with the problem
      Thankyou for your help

Comment

I think another garage is a wise idea. No engine should take that long to warm up. If the mechanic is that lazy then he's probably not doing a very good job.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
        X