Corsa C timing chain alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Corsa C timing chain alignment

Spent most of the day changing the timing chain on my 2004 1.2 Corsa, a job I'm doing for the first time and always something I fancied doing.
    The fit went ok and I was quite pleased with myself, until after tightening the crankshaft spocket bolt.I decided to rechecked the valve timing, cams locked and T.D.C. set, only to find that the timing marks on the bottom pulley are to the right of the marks on the timing cover by about 10 deg.
    When I first fitted the chain, ok the cover wasn't on but I'd make a mark around where it would be. Strange thing is now, when I remove the cam locking plates and move the crankshaft backwords towards where the T.D.C mark is on the timing cover, according to the manual, the crank locking pin doesn't go cleanly in the hole, you have to turn the pulley to the right.

Are my camshafts a tooth out and is T.D.C with the pulley mark just in front on the mark on the timing cover and not just after as mine currently is.
    When I try and line the mark on the crankshaft pulley with the mark on the timing cover, the crankshaft locking pin won't go in the hole, yet when I move the pulley 10 deg clockwise the pin falls in the hole.

Tomorrow will be an interesting day, trying to figure out what I did wrong, unless somebody on here can help.
    I can't continue with the rebuild until I know the timing chains are correctly aligned.
    Cheers
    Fat Bob.

Did you use the timing kit to set and lock the timing as the marks on the engine are virtually none existent and the TDC for the crank is only approximate at best.

Sealey VSE243 Petrol Engine Timing Kit - Vauxhall/Opel 1.0, 1.2, 1.4 - Chain Drive

If you set it up with that then turn the engine by hand several times it's not uncommon to find the timing is slightly out. Also it's usual to put the crank pulley to the TDC mark and then have to turn it slightly for the locking pin the fully engage.

My method is to set it up. Turn it by hand, reinsert the crank locking pin and then fettle the cams by loosening the cam sprockets bolts slightly.

Then do it all again!

Add oil directly to the chain and cams before final refit, at least some of it will stay there for the first fire up.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Yes I used the timing kit and checked with a long screw driving that the piston is at T.D.C.
      Hopefully the marks on the pulley and timing cover are ok, although different from what the haynes manual is saying.
      I'll carry on with the build and see if she fires up.

Comment

Thanks for your help and advice on the timing marks.
        Engine build complete and purrs like a cat...

Comment

Good news
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
          X