Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Cam Chain

Hi all
    Ive replaced the camchain on a 2007 1.0 swine of a job doing it on the drive but heyho
    Started first time with no rattles and sounded really sweet but as soon as you rev it there is a nasty noise coming from the chain area.
    Ive taken the aux belt off and the noise is still there when you rev the engine so its not the tensioner, Ive a feeling the chain maybe running tight
    thats what it sounds like to me but can this happen? I got it to bolt up okay without straining anything (sprockets went on ok) so if anyone can give me a clue
    I would be thankful......Please don say strip it down and start again!!
    Cheers
    Trev

The chain tension is self adjusted so it's unlikely to be that. Did you turn it over by hand several times and then recheck the timing before refitting everything?

Was it a genuine GM chain kit? Some of the aftermarket ones are rubbish and stretch within the first few minutes of use.

Very hard to say much more without being able to see & hear the car in person.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
      The chain tension is self adjusted so it's unlikely to be that. Did you turn it over by hand several times and then recheck the timing before refitting everything?

Was it a genuine GM chain kit? Some of the aftermarket ones are rubbish and stretch within the first few minutes of use.

Very hard to say much more without being able to see & hear the car in person.

Yep timing checked and rechecked turned over by hand to make sure of nothing locking up it sounds sweet ticking over guess its a strip down to find the cause

Comment

Is the oil supply to the chain (partially) blocked?

Did you use a flushing agent recently (you should Not)

Oil light coming on at any time?

Spring in tensioner intact? Tensioner functioning properly?

Comment

Well I had chance to strip it down today and found the chain has been in contact with the timing case just a few marks on the intake side but quite a bit on the exhaust side! Cant really work out how this has happened, Chain is tensioned running in the guides and the engine is running well. I made sure when I set the chain up that I took the slack out of the exhaust side before I put it on the sprockets. Any ideas as to how this can happen anyone solved this before??
          Cheers
          Trev

Comment

What exactly do you mean you took the slack out of the chain on the exhaust side before you put it on the sprockets?

It should go over the cam sprockets and hub sprocket (timing locked beforehand) and the tensioner should take out any slack irrespective of where that slack appears.

Are the marks on the cover in line with the chain or perpendicular to it?

Is it a new OEM chain, which you are using?

Timing chain cover fitted correctly?

Are BOTH guides present, intact AND mounted correctly?

Tensioner working? Are the oil galleries to/in the tensioner clear?

Tensioner Spring weakened/near breaking? Unusual for spring to break (saw it on here once lately) but a weakened and not yet broken spring *may* give the symptoms you describe. It may feel tensioned when stationary or at low engine speed but when the chain is rotating at higher engine speed, the spring may not have sufficient resistance in it to resist the subsequent forces place upon it by the rotating chain.

Whereby, if this were the case given the engine is rotating clockwise, I would have expected lesser marks on the exhaust side and more on the inlet.

Dissassemble tensioner and inspect - if you already have the timing chain cover off.

Have you another tensioner handy?
            Last edited by zuluman; 28-08-2016, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Hi Zuluman
              I made sure it was as tight as I could get it on the none tensioned side of the chain as any slack there cant be taken out by the tensioner as the slack would be between the teeth on the top and bottom sproket, get what I mean?
              In answer to you points
              Marks on the cover are where the chain has rubbed and are in line with the chain
              not oem
              Timing chain cover had no oil or water leaks so I am assuming it was fitted correctly
              Both guides fitted and bolted in the relevant places
              New tensioner fitted and working, how strong it is at working speed I cant tell but it seems to be a lot stronger in the spring department than the old one...
              Thanks for your input
              Trev

Comment

I understand now about the exhaust side tension.

Is this tension still present or has it gone slack?

Non OEM chains are not great with reports of them failing weeks after being changed. I see Taurus stating above even within the forst few minutes.

I would have to look at the tensioner again - they have oil galleries and galleries feeding from the head.

However, I cannot recall if the oil acts solely as a lubricant or also as a hydraulic giving pressure to the piston (covering the spring) against the guide, which then presses against the chain.

I have one here and can have a look at it.

You state in your original post that it runs ok until you rev the engine, which may indicate lack of tension form the tensioner

If you have the car stripped, you could try the old tensioner and see if that cures the problem. It is a bit of work to do though

Are the guides worn excessively?

Are all the bolts holding the cam sprockets and the hub bolt torqued?

is the timing still intact (seem so from your posts)?

Comment

So long as the two locating dowels on the timing cover were left in situ and everything lined up OK then the cover should be in place. The critical issue with the cover positioning is the oil pump mounted in the cover itself running directly off the camshaft. If the cover is out of line the oil pump fails.

Non OEM timing kits can vary in quality enormously. Source a chain kit from autovaux (ring them as the website isn't much use). Only ever fit genuine quality timing chain kits to these engines.
                  1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
                  X