Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corsa Engine sounds like a bag of spanners? (When warm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Corsa Engine sounds like a bag of spanners? (When warm)

Hi guys,

I have a weird knocking/rattling noise on my engine, I made a video and moved the camera around the whole engine bay to see if you guys can figure something out:

I have had the timing chain checked by three mechanics and they have said that it is usually much louder if the chain is on its way out. I have changed the oil two days ago and that did not solve the problem, have also changed spark plugs.
    A friend said it could be the exhaust and, after him mentioning it, it does sound like it is coming from underneath the car rather than the engine itself.
    Any ideas? :-)
    Thanks

Sounds like exhust manifold leak

Sent from my SM-G361H using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by silentslayer19 View Post
      Sounds like exhust manifold leak

Cool, is it anything to worry about? I'm gonna warm up my car then get under it to have a listen - is there anything I should look out for?

Comment

What I do is when the car is cold I take bottle of soap water and pour it over the manifold just after I have started it up .be for the exhust gets hot .that's how I found where the leak was on my corsa .and yes you should fix an exhaust leak.

Comment

Whilst difficult to diagnose from afar and solely on hand of a video, I do not think that it is an exhaust leak.

You state that the noise occurs when warm - I would expect an exhaust leak to make noise all the time - possibly though it only occurs when the parts have expanded.

You can certainly test for it anyway

It sounds more mechanical and based at the top of the engine - actually near the chain - contrary to what you say in your post.

Also, if it were a leak above the Lambda sensor, that would throw out the fuel mix and I would expect it to run rough. (whilst noisy, it is running in a regular manner)

It is almost not noisy enough for an exhaust leak either.

Can you smell fumes in the engine area?

Is the oil light on on the dashboard?

Did this noise start suddenly? If so, what happened to cause it?

This IS what a worn/loose chain sounds like or one that is getting no oil.

Possibly the oil feed to the chain is blocked - did you use a flushing agent before the oil change or such like? (you should not)

Did you change the oil filter? What condition was the old one in? - Did any of it break up?

have you been changing the oil regularly?

****Do NOT start the car with the camshaft cover removed as you will put oil everywhere and risk injury especially if something is loose**

**If you are not confident enough in mechanical matters, consult a competent independent mechanic***

Check out the exhaust but then remove the camshaft cover and inspect for any obvious signs of damage.

Check if the areas is excessively dry - i.e lacking in oil

Possibly the chain tensioner is no longer fully functioning (saw one with a broken spring a while back on here - this is not accessible from the camshaft area)

You can check the tension of the chain by hand. though not conclusive, It should be quite tight.

There was also an issue on a small amount of 1.2 engines (I note your engine is one litre) where the camshaft bolts loosened.

You might check this too. I think they should be torqued to 8 (eight) Newton Metres and then in a spiral fashion from centre outwards.

I would not be running the engine for until this problem is investigated and solved
          Last edited by zuluman; 13-08-2016, 12:54 PM.

Comment

The 3 pot engines have a habit of cracking the exhaust manifold and they make a noise similar to that. I don't like diagnosing from a video clip because you can't get any sense of direction. Use a mechanic‘s stethoscope with the trumpet fitting to track down the noise. If it isn't a cracked manifold then use the pride fitting on various parts of the engine to determine the source.
            1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by zuluman View Post
              Whilst difficult to diagnose from afar and solely on hand of a video, I do not think that it is an exhaust leak.

You state that the noise occurs when warm - I would expect an exhaust leak to make noise all the time - possibly though it only occurs when the parts have expanded.

You can certainly test for it anyway

It sounds more mechanical and based at the top of the engine - actually near the chain - contrary to what you say in your post.

Also, if it were a leak above the Lambda sensor, that would throw out the fuel mix and I would expect it to run rough. (whilst noisy, it is running in a regular manner)

It is almost not noisy enough for an exhaust leak either.

Can you smell fumes in the engine area?

Is the oil light on on the dashboard?

Did this noise start suddenly? If so, what happened to cause it?

This IS what a worn/loose chain sounds like or one that is getting no oil.

Possibly the oil feed to the chain is blocked - did you use a flushing agent before the oil change or such like? (you should not)

Did you change the oil filter? What condition was the old one in? - Did any of it break up?

have you been changing the oil regularly?

****Do NOT start the car with the camshaft cover removed as you will put oil everywhere and risk injury especially if something is loose**

**If you are not confident enough in mechanical matters, consult a competent independent mechanic***

Check out the exhaust but then remove the camshaft cover and inspect for any obvious signs of damage.

Check if the areas is excessively dry - i.e lacking in oil

Possibly the chain tensioner is no longer fully functioning (saw one with a broken spring a while back on here - this is not accessible from the camshaft area)

You can check the tension of the chain by hand. though not conclusive, It should be quite tight.

There was also an issue on a small amount of 1.2 engines (I note your engine is one litre) where the camshaft bolts loosened.

You might check this too. I think they should be torqued to 8 (eight) Newton Metres and then in a spiral fashion from centre outwards.

I would not be running the engine for until this problem is investigated and solved
              Yes the engine bay smells of petrol when I start the car, quiet a strong smell. I am taking off the cam cover today to have a look at the chain and camshaft - ill let you know

Comment

If ti smells of fumes, check the exhaust first as advised before taking off the cam cover

Comment

I have checked the exhaust, that looks fine. I took off the cam cover and checked the chain and it feels tight as anything - looks relatively new too (although I wouldn't really know)

I'm thinking of buying a new car anyway because the 1.0L 3 pot corsa aint the best on the longer journeys that I do.

Comment

Hi, corsa c engine sound weird when warm

Comment

Working...
                    X