Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Throttle Body Clicking

Dear all

Have changed one breather hose, air filter and MAF. (couldnt get the smaller breather hose off the back of the engine. But's it's not so worn out yet). Cleaned the opening of the throttle body. Plugs i found out from previous owner had been changed 6 months ago.

Took it for a drive. Not very responsive. A cough, engine electronics light came on, limp mode. Switched off and back on again. No light. Idling was pretty rough.

Got home and left it idling and was very sure i was hearing the throttle body clicking, an irregular clicking. Switched off.

Did some reading online to confirm clicking then back to the car. Started it and now no clicking at all . Idling seems OK. Haven't driven it further yet

Any thought much appreciated

Thanks for your endless patience

UPDATE

Test drove this morning. Response felt sluggish. Accelerated hard to 80km/h, car coughed and engine electronics light came on, limp mode. Switched off and on. Light cleared. Accelerated again. same problem.

Codes are

P0170
    P1030
    P0141
    P1500!!!!!

Thinking an issue with throttle body, position, sensor???

Thoughts?

Thanks

Comment

A piece of help - You would be better sticking to one related thread than starting multiple thread on the forum about the same issue.

If you have a new hose for it, you may get that other hose off to eliminate air leak problems (though I doubt it). The clips are small enough to compress with a pliers if you do not have a dedicated hose clip tool.

VERY gently, you can then wiggle off the hose ends - carefully as they are mounted unto plastic extruded parts at both ends (Corsa C). Sometimes they are a little stuck and carefully you can insert small bladed screwdriver between hose and plastic to help it off.

Did you check for other air leaks? All clips tight?

You changed the MAF - did you put on a BOSCH?

Possibly it is to do with the throttle - would have to consult Haynes first

Did you use opcom to read the codes ?

Comment

Noted about the threads

I have check for leaks, by ear, not with any spray. All pipes look good and clips secure

Good advice re the plastic bits. The small hose doesn't have a clip at the connection at the rear of the engine. Used a mirror to look so it's just simply stuck.

New MAF is a BOSCH. Same part number as the MAF i took out.

Got codes using brake/throttle method. Don't have a code reader. These are new codes. The ADAC guy cleared the last codes when the car stopped a few weeks ago. That's when i found the pipe had been chewed by Marden. I compared my codes to his. They were the same. He didn't know the brake/throttle method. Was quite amused.

Wondering if the throttle body is just dirty. Maybe needs cleaning. The ADAC guy sprayed some brake clear in there last time and things seemed OK, at least for a while

Comment

Try the simple things first.

Has it had a good service?

Is the air filter clean/new?

Are electrical connectors connected fully? (any sign of damage form Marder here?)

Is the throttle body clean?

To clean the throttle body disassemble the air intake above it.

Do not spray brake cleaner via the air intake as you do not know if it will harm the MAF sensor.

Change the little hose if you have a new one for it (might be just push on at the throttle body end now that you say it)

Check for leaks with carb cleaner - you may not hear any leaks

May be good to invest in an OPCOM reader - they are not expensive and you can see live data when running the car.

Comment

A service 6 months ago before i bought it. Was it good? Not sure. Oil does need changing now though

Put in a new air filter 2 days ago along with the new MAF and larger breather hose

Throttle body looks clean from looking at it. I used some brake cleaner directly into the throttle body (not via the MAF) , but i didn't open the butterfly valve manually as i thought that might damage something.

Will change the little hose when i get the current one loose.

Will also try the carb cleaner

Thanks

Comment

OK we may have a solution

Local mechanic (good reputation, a bad rep would get around the village like wildfire) had a look and determined it was the O2 sensor downstream of the CAT that was playing up. I checked and the original upstream sensor is still in place. So it must have been the downstream sensor he replaced.

He did a 10km test drive he said all was good. I did a test drive and i think he's right. Really pushed the car hard, high revs, etc and experienced a wonderful response.

I am curious, (if this hopefully is the solution) why the downstream sensor was the one giving the issues. Especially when i look at the codes.

I'd love to hear any comments please

Thanks

PS: A 600km trip tomorrow will be the true test.

Comment

UPDATE

Car ran very well on 600km trip. A couple of misfires late in the trip but barely noticeable.

In the back of the car i had the old O2 sensor the mechanic replaced yesterday. I salvaged it from his bin. I took a look at the connector. Wish i had done it yesterday.

Dismay when i noticed traces of oil in the connector. Pretty sure the oil didn't come from his bin which suggests oil has made its way down the wiring to this downstream sensor. I have been checking all the connections i can reach in the engine bay for oil since I replaced the leaky oil pressure sensor. No sign of oil in any of the connectors. Perhaps being the low point oil went downhill

But this worries the heck out of me. I cant get to the connector to check unless i lift the car up. I'm not that skinny. Will have to wait till i get back home in a week

Here's a picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160812_190528.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	110604

And so it goes . . .

Comment

there is probably nothing wrong with that senosr

I removd the oil pressure switch, cleaned it and put a smear of gasket silicone on it in various places to stop any leaks.

Do not over tighten the oil pressure switch into the head as the head is only aluminium and the switch steel . you can strip the threads

Always use axle stands when under the car - do not depend on a bottle jack and certainly not on the suicide jack that comes with the corsa

what happened to the clicking or could that have been tappet noise?

Comment

Yep i guess the sensor was ok. Mechanic missed the oil. But he wouldn't have been looking for it either. Will see him in a week and show him.

Changed the oil pressure switch about 3 months back when first noticed it leaking. But at some time before noticing the leak oil may have traveled down the cables.

Definitely not getting under the car with proper stands.

I will check the connector when i get home and clean it with contact cleaner and hopefully keeping an eye on it all the oil will eventually come out

The clicking disappeared.

Comment

UPDATE:

Before the 600km trip home i thought i'd go to the local garage and ask to lift the car to get a look at the O2 sensor underneath. It was eating away at my brain.

Sure enough there was oil. i cleaned out both connectors and dried them 3 times just to make sure. He also cleared the codes (0130, 0130).

Looks like the oil is the source of the problems.

Now how to get rid of it cheaply?

Thanks

Comment

Hi
                        If you cant easily fix the oil leak try and make the connector itself more oil proof in some way such as enclosing it in a weather sealed container, or wrapping it in self amalgamating rubber tape and coating this with silicon sealant. If you later need to disconnect it again just open the container or cut the rubber off.

If the car is nearing the end of its life and unlikely to pass its next technical inspection you could even consider cutting a small hole in the floor to give easy access,with a weather sealed removable cover plate .Lots of cars have such holes in the floor sealed with rubber bungs etc but you would need to be sure it doesnt affect strength.
                        Last edited by Bugman; 18-08-2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Bugman

Great idea to make an access panel for the O2 sensor wiring connections. Car is not nearing the end of its life yet i hope.

The oil has come from the leaky oil pressure switch and has traveled along the wires and found the lowest point, i guess, which is the O2 sensor after the CC.

Not sure how making the connector itself more oil proof in some way will help.

Thanks

Comment

Sorry no offence intended about end of life. Just being cautious. An access hole makes sense to me and as long as its a professional looking piece of work,is sealed against weather and any fumes and does not affect body strength, I dont think it would be a problem on the UK MOT. But the German testers may view a non standard modification differently. You are probably right about trying to seal the connection. Its not easy making something oil proof.

Comment

No offence taken. Will check out this access panel idea with the local mechanics. Great idea

Comment

Working...
                              X