Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Timing

Hi guys I have just changed my timing chain on my 1.0 ecotec 54 plate corsa all seemed good but now it wont crank any advise please

Did you set the timing correctly using a timing kit - esp the phase wheel?

Initially, I would not be attempting to start the car with the starter even if you did set timing with a kit.

Disconnect battery, take out the spark plugs and rotate per hand a number of times - then check position again of camshafts, phase wheel and crankshaft a number of times at top dead centre (TDC) of piston no 1 (nearest chain end) .

'Won't crank' - what do you mean exactly?

Do you mean key in ignition and when turned nothing happens

OR

key in ignition, when turned, engine cranks but does not turn over (i.e does not 'fire'/Start)

Comment

Timing

hi im doing my timing chain and have got my engine locking pin in but my timing marks don't line up please help

Comment

I carnt crank manually I set the timing with tool kit but the bottom pully wasn't inline

Comment

I used tool kit but the bottom pully wasn't inline with timing mark when engine bar was inserted now I carnt even turn bottom pully by hand please help

Comment

thankyou

Comment

Do NOT attempt to start the car

**it is unclear if you have already tried to start it - please confirm as you may have already damaged it**

***If you feel that setting the timing is beyond you, seek professional advice - cheaper than damaging your engine totally***

If you have Haynes manual, read the section on timing thoroughly BEFORE timing the engine. I suggest you get a Haynes manual

The procedure would be as follows - at your own risk

Disconnect battery

Remove spark plugs (so as not to have compression on the engine)

Remove camshaft case cover

Reset timing correctly - the mark on the bottom pulley should line up with the mark on the timing case cover.

Use a socket and ratchet/t bar to turn bottom pulley clockwise. It should turn easily once the spark plugs are out - if not there is something else wrong - STOP AND INVESTIGATE

At this point the camshaft lobes for cylinder 1 (four lobes if 12 valve) on the inlet and exhaust shaft should be positioned looking away from the engine when viewed form the chain end.

The camshaft timing locking tool should then be able to be inserted into the end of the camshafts if the lobes are in the correct position

If lobes are not in correct position , turn the bottom pulley again until the marks line up again and see if the lobes are now looking away from the engine

If the timing is totally messed up and the lobes do not come into the correct position at all and the camshaft timing tool cannot be inserted then you need to adjust the valve timing

Lock the crankshaft at top dead centre by lining up the marks on the bottom pulley/timing case cover

Detension the chain by inserting the pin in the tensioner

Loosen the camshaft sprocket bolts. Turn the camshafts into the correct position using an open spanner on the hex ends at the front of the camshaft

Lock the camshafts by inserting timing tool at end of camshafts

Realign the phase disc using the phase timing tool.

Tighten bolts to correct torque

remove chain detension pin

Remove crank locking tools

turn crankshaft by hand until piston one is at TDC again. Insert timing lock tool again in crank

Check position of camshafts and if camshaft locking tool can be inserted

Check position of phase disc

Adjust if required

Repeat at TDC again and check again
              Last edited by zuluman; 20-07-2016, 03:24 PM.

Comment

How did things go?

Comment

Comment

Are you using the timing kit? You need the set to lock everything in place and set the phase disc for the cam sensor on the inlet camshaft sprocket.
                    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
                    X