Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Timing marks on cam gears

Hey guys,
    Just trying to find some info on doing the timing chain on the Z14XEP.
    I wanted to know what the timing marks on the cam gears look like and where they should be aligned when the engine is at TDC.
    Thanks

There aren't any. You need to use a timing kit which locks the cam sprockets and lines up the phase disc for the cam sensor. The kit also provides the pin for the belt tensioner and the crank locking tool.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thanks for the info,
      I haven't been able to find the kit here in AUS so i've gone about it manually and taking reference from my other Barina/Corsa.
      Also wanting to see if anyone has some advice on removing the main pulley without the locking tool...
      Impact doesnt work so i need to get the breaker bar onto it but i need to lock it up first
      Thanks

Comment

Be careful as to what you are doing. Obtain a Haynes manual and read it first before attempting the job.

The crankshaft timing locking pin is not meant to be used as opposing force when removing the crankshaft bolt, which attaches the bottom pulley/hub to the crankshaft.

It is simply there to maintain the piston no 1 at top dead centre (TDC) for timing purposes

Remove fuel fuse. Crank engine to use up fuel in lines. Disconnect battery. Remove spark plugs

Firstly As for timing, there is a mark on the bottom pulley and a mark on the timing case cover (ca. 2 o clock near bottom pulley).

Line these two up.

IF at TDC, the position the cam lobes of the inlet and exhaust cams nearest the timing chain are at about 10 o'clock and 2 o' clock respectively when viewed from timing chain end

If not, turn the bottom pulley around again and line up the marks again. Now insert the crankshaft lock pin in the crankshaft.

The camshaft locking bar inserts now into the other end of the camshafts to hold them in place. I think it is about a 5 mm thick flat

You can make your own phase timing tool as outlined in haynes but you would want it pretty exact. Better off with a kit

Here is a pic of what the timing tools look like in action - see post 13

Just a moment...

Secondly, as for creating opposing force: Place the vehicle in gear. Remove sump or starter to gain access to flywheel

You create an opposing force by locking the flywheel against the block with a suitable piece of metal or off the shelf lock.

Do NOT lock the flywheel against any alloy or aluminium part of the engine.

The crankshaft bolt can be fairly tough to remove. Once locked, the impact driver (via a compressor) should do it.

The bolt is about 3" long and ca. 12 - 13 mm diameter. it has been torqued and then angle torqued.

Make sure you have a good half inch drive E18 torx socket for the job

Try a T bar and then the breaker bar on their own first

You can also tap the end or the breaker bar with a hammer as you try to turn the bolt.

Otherwise breaker bar - possibly with some leverage on that like a scaffold bar BUT be careful not to shear the bolt.

Alternatively, if you do not have an impact driver, i have used a hammer drill (set to hammer only) with a flat nail driver attachment applied to the end of the breaker whilst applying torque to the bolt. Get a helper to assist

This simulates an impact driver.

I had one where the scaffold bar was needed and another where it came off using just a T bar ( the first was never removed since manufacture, the second maybe)
        Last edited by zuluman; 15-07-2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Buy a kit online, and get it delivered to you.

Comment

Hey,
            Thanks for all the advice i had checked all of the timing and made notes on my other Barina so i was fairly sure of where everything should go.
            Ive taken everything off now and i have found the culprit a broken spring in the tensioner such a simple fault everything else looks to be in great shape but i'll order a full kit.

How good are the hanes manuals ? do they have detailed info on the engine internals ? I'm looking for a manual that shows a full motor teardown.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_20160716_190911.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	110603

Comment

I wonder how the spring broke ?

Somewhat unusual I would have thought - no lateral forces on this spring and its not really doing a huge amount of long travel cycles longitudinally either.

Is there something else amiss in the region of the timing chain case - like the guides or the guide dowel or anything unusual?

Haynes

Haynes are about as good as you will get.

They do go into good detail about the engine - but would not for example go into detail about a gearbox teardown (although a picture is given of the GB internals on one I have)

On some things it does not give so much information. At the moment, I am looking for detail on Air conditioning and it does not give much information except for a cursor description.

Useful though is also measurements e.g correct torque settings. Also at the front, they give points to check at certain mileage stages etc.

*You need to couple the Haynes Manual with your experience and/or our mechanical ability*
              Last edited by zuluman; 20-07-2016, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X