No announcement yet.

Y reg corsa b 1.7d leaking oil an makes a screeching noise when I turn key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Y reg corsa b 1.7d leaking oil an makes a screeching noise when I turn key

Hi I'm having an issue with my Y reg corsa combo 1.7d it seems to be leaking oil, well it is leaking oil but when I check the oil level it has not moved an it has been dripping for a few weeks so I am confused to what the problem might be.

Another er problem is when I turn the key to start the van it makes a screeching type of noise, but only when I fire the van up after that the van runs fine. If I turn it of then back on its ok but if I leave it a few seconds then start it same screeching happens. Any ideas what these issues are it would be much appreciated guys thanks.

Screeching is usually a slipping belt or the water pump bearings. The alternator load after startup, especially on a diesel, is higher so that is when the belt slips. A temporary fix is to put some talc on the belt.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Just read the email thanks pal I didn't know that talc could help sort the belt from screeching lol thanks.

Comment

Talc doesnt 'sort' it. It best thought of as a diagnostic aid,not a cure . It acts as a temporary lubricant that wont harm the rubber. If this lubrication stops the screeching the belt is still slipping,but doing it silently. You still need to tightent he belt to the correct tension,and it may be better to also replace it.. If talc has no effect it points more to a bearing fault, which ironically could have been made worse by a belt that is too tight.
        Last edited by Bugman; 07-07-2016, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Talc is a temporary fix but it works by making the belt grip in the same way as climbers use chalk dust on their fingers. It will last until it either wears off or gets washed off with the rain. So it is both a diagnostic to prove where the noise is coming from and a temporary solution.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thanks for both reply' they are much appreciated.

I have not yet tried it because it's raining all the time lol I live in Wales see haha. My main concern at the moment though is the oil dripping, now I have checked the level and it is still full, so I am confused to where it is coming from it seems to be running down from some where an dripping off the bottom of the oil pan sump. It's a slow drip but it's still dripping I changed the transmission fluid because I thought it was burned fluid but it was all ok in that department. Would be much appreciated again if any of you got any idea where it could be dripping from an would Lucas stop leak be a good idea.

Thanks

Comment

Stop Leak just swells seals so it's a temporary fix at best. Without being able to see the car it's really just guesswork. Start at the top and work down - oil will run downwards to any traces of oil usually means the leak is above that point. If necessary use an engine cleaner and a low pressure hose to flush the cleaner off the engine. Don't use a pressure washer in an engine bay, even on diesels there are too many electrics to get damaged by high pressure water. A cleaner engine is easier to spot leaks. It could be the crankshaft seal if there's no trace of oil above that point.

Comment

You learn something every day. I always thought talc worked on a 'smooth as a babies bum' principle, but Taurus's climbers chalk explanation makes more sense.Giving more grip is less harmful than allowing the bet to slip silently but still getting hot. I second his point about not using power washers on engine bays. Not just electrics, they can easily flatten the delicate cooling fins on radiators and aircon condensors.

Comment

Working...
                X