1999 1.2 16v automatic keeps cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] 1999 1.2 16v automatic keeps cutting out

Hi all ive just joined hoping you can help me out.
    my wifes corsa cut out yesterday lucky manged to push it home
    I left it for 2 hours and it started again with no problems
    then 5mins later after ticking over it cut out again,
    ive cleaned the cam shaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor.
    ive checked the fuel is coming through where the valve is on the injector rail to.
    the temp sensor is ok to.as I disconnected that and it still cut out
    is there something breaking down.or could it be a fuel filter.

maybe the crankshaft sensor is breaking down?
    has anyone had this same problem,
    I leave it for 30mins and it starts fine but only last afew mins then just cuts out and wont start again.

any info would be most welcome

Almost certainly the crankshaft sensor, they fail very regularly. Basically it's an electro magnet and when the coil develops a crack the circuit breaks. Once it cools down the crack closes up again. Hence the hot cutting out and then starting when cold.

The way to check is to check for fuel pressure at the rail when it won't fire - after cranking . The crankshaft sensor triggers the ECU to turn on the fuel pump relay. The relay will always prime the system when you turn the key hence there is pressure at the rail when you check before cranking. But it is after cranking that you need to make sure.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
      Almost certainly the crankshaft sensor, they fail very regularly. Basically it's an electro magnet and when the coil develops a crack the circuit breaks. Once it cools down the crack closes up again. Hence the hot cutting out and then starting when cold.

The way to check is to check for fuel pressure at the rail when it won't fire - after cranking . The crankshaft sensor triggers the ECU to turn on the fuel pump relay. The relay will always prime the system when you turn the key hence there is pressure at the rail when you check before cranking. But it is after cranking that you need to make sure.

Thankyou Taurus I've just ordered a new crankshaft sensor so will give that a whirl.
      what should I try next if it's not that

Comment

With the symptom of good cold starting and then cutting out once hot I'm pretty sure it will be the crankshaft sensor. Another possibility is the coilpack, but that sort of coilpack doesn't tend to cut out when hot like the older canister type used to. You'd really want to check what was missing - sparks or fuel.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I'm guessing maybe fuel if no luck with the sensor .
          I will start it just now and let it Run until it cuts out then should I press the valve in on the fuel rail

Comment

The system works like this, when you turn the key to ignition the ecu triggers the fuel pump relay to run for a second or two to prime the system. There is then pressure at the rail.

When you then turn the key to crank th engine the crankshaft sensor tells the ecu that the engine is turning which then earth the fuel pump relay via the ecu and pressure I maintained at the rail.

When the crankshaft sensor fails the ecu simply doesn't see the engine turning so it doesn't activate the fuel pump relay. It doesn't usually throw any fault code because it is simply seen as the engine not turning.

So if it cuts out check for fuel pressure at the rail first. Most of the time it's the crankshaft sensor.

If you found pressure at the rail but the plugs were all dry then occasionally the injector relay can fail. Identical relay to the fuel pump relay by the way. But they usually work or don't. They don't tend to start from cold then cut out as the engine warms up.

It is such a common issue I keep a couple of spare crankshaft sensors in my kit just to swap over.

Comment

Thankyou ever so much .great advice.
              i swapped over the crankshaft sensor today and touch wood all is ok.
              i let it Tickover for ages then went for a drive up and down the road just incase it died on me again so I could easily push it home.
              but hey it didn't do top marks.

i gave her a well needed oil and filter change to and now runs sweet .

Comment

Working...
              X