Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating Problem, garage don't know whats wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Overheating Problem, garage don't know whats wrong!

I have a Corsa D 1.2 Club, 2007, In march I had to have the head gasket done and since then I have had no end of issues with the car overheating, It usually does this when I'm on the motorway, I can usually get 40 mile out of it before the engine light comes on, (the coolant tank is full when I leave) when I pull up it is bone dry. First time it happened we thought split hoses so they have been replaced, second and third time the garage simply don't know what it could be, last week when I looked under the bonnet the was coolant spray all over the right side of the engine. It has been pressure checked - nothing came up, diagnostic check - nothing, thermostat and fan work - heater is warm.

the car also usually makes trickling noises and gurgles when turned off, its like driving with a water bottle in the footwell for example. When the car went back to the garage they bled the radiator but I can still hear it. Usually symptoms of head gasket failure but that has just been done, I have no idea what is wrong!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Rachel.

It is a bit hard to say for sure as we can't see the car, whereas the garage can and they can't find the problem.

But a few thoughts....when say there is coolant spray on the right side of the engine which way are you looking at the car? Is the spray on the driver's side or passenger's side?

Did the garage have the head skimmed when they did the HG?

Was the timing cover replaced at the same time? There is an awkward joint between the timing cover, block and cylinder head that can be tricky to seal properly.

Do you know the reason for the original HG failure?

Have you checked that the oil isn't showing signs of excessive emulsion, eg by looking under the oil filler cap?

Any signs of coolant dripping from the exhaust pipe? Clear water is normal within limits. Coolant coloured drips aren't.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Hi, thanks for a reply!

Basically all the points you have mentioned my garage had already checked over and then double checked.

The spray was on the passengers side and the head was sent off to be skimmed and they put it back on,

I'm thinking maybe leaks in hoses again as not all of them where replaced, or because the coolant tank had boiled over so many times now it might have a crack? Might be best to replace the lot.

Cheers!
      Rachel

Comment

Spray on the passenger side......have tried a new pressure cap on the expansion tank?
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Yeah, also had a new cap, the other had to be taken off with pliers.

No clue with this car haha

Comment

If there's coolant spraying out on that side of the engine the it's most likely the tank or a hose. You'd have thought a pressure test would show it up but I've seen cars pass a pressure test and then find the leak was as simple as a loose pipe clip so it's not foolproof.

Comment

Can you confirm its a right hand drive car! There is at least one weirdo on the site with a left hand drive car -- Me ). And you say the old pressure cap had to be taken off with pliers. Could the the thread area on the bottle have been damaged ? And when you have been topping up are you sure the cap is being tightened enough to seal properly.There is a fine line between not enough and too much. And with a new cap especially you may be meeting resistance before the cap has fully sealed.

Comment

(Second attempt at this, the first refused to post)
                I too have known cooling systems to be OK under pressure test, but leak when driving, presumably due to a combination of pressure and temperature.
                If the pressure in the cooling system becomes too high, the relief valve in the filler cap will lift and blow out coolant.
                Reasons for the pressure becoming too high include (1) failed cylinder head gasket, (2) cracked head or (3) too much coolant in the system.
                (1) and (2) of the above may be detected by your garage using a 'sniffing' tool to check for products of combustion in the cooling system.
                Have you overfilled the coolant tank? this would account for (3).

Regards

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone

Yeah I know the pressure test isn't always accurate, the first time I took it back to the garage it was because a clip on the hose like you said, The test is done while the engines cold though.

It is a right hand drive, Im thinking that could be the issue with the cap, the new one I have had on isnt the same as my last one, it doesn't also feel as tight on, its from vauxhall though.

They are good points although I had my head gasket re-skimmed a few days before these issues started so its a little confusing. On occasion I have overfilled the coolant so maybe thats not helped too.

I have some images of the spray, there was a fair bit
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0822.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	110596Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	110597

Comment

I've had a second opinion and I've been told it could be the impeller in the water pump, could explain the trickling noises I hear in high revs

Comment

That's one reason why I asked if they replaced the timing cover, they would have had the pump off to do that. Plus there is an inherent weak spot behind the water pump where the timing cover seals the pump and it's the only thing between the coolant and the oil.

Also re. the question if they'd found the cause of the original hg failure. If the water pump fails and the engine overheats that warps the head which crushes the hg. So hg failure is often a symptom rather than the primary cause of the problem.

Comment

If you have any doubts about the cap and it doesnt feel or look right ,I would get it double checked before other more expensive work. Even if its genuine GM . But not if it means risking further coolant loss on the motorway.

Comment

Might be worth checking what temp the coolant is when it starts to spill out. Just sharing my own similar experience here. Coolant spilling out at 100 degrees, replaced expansion tank cap, now temp will go to 105 without boiling over(with antifreeze). I have an issue with a similar corsa D 1.2 whereby the radiator fan doesn't come on until 105 degrees, but as soon as it does the temp comes down rapidly. Previously with old cap, engine couldn't get near 105 without boiling over.

Comment

I wasn't sure if the cap was the issue cause the overheating and sprey happened before the new cap as too.
                            I actually ended up moving the car on, so I have no idea what it was specifically, eventually I didn't even have to drive it on the motorway for it too overheat- I could just go 10 minute down the road. The problem just worsened.
                            Back to the good old Clio.

Comment

So now we wait for the poor sod who now owns it to come on here and ask the same question.

Comment

Working...
                              X