Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] 2002 Corsa 1.2 SXi Noob

Hi all,

ive just bought my first vauxhall , for the grand sum of 50 my mate sold me his 2002 1.2 SXi 5dr, due to getting a newer car he just wanted to get shot of his old one i thought id pick it up as a little project and see what i can do to it.

the main reason for this post is because its got a few faults (as you would expect being only 50)

first off i havent had a chance to properly look it over but its got an oil leak and a coolant leak, i havent had a chance to read up on the common faults of the 1.2L engine so any help and advice on where to look would be much appreciated.

also the engine is clicking quite a lot im sure this is a common problem, my first thought is a timing chain tensioner but im not sure, ive heard it could be a fault with the coil pack (no EML however?) theres a video on youtube which sounds pretty much the same as this car so any advice on that would also come in handy (i know its hard to provide an exact diagnosis but just looking for some pointers)

First pics when i got it home next to the DS3:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	111642

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	111641

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	111640

cheers,

steve

That sure sounds like a knackered timing chain to me. Two basic options - you start spending money on it and make everything good, or you just accept it is a 50 car and run it until something goes bang.

The thing with the timing chains is that they can run like that for ages - or they can jump tomorrow and wreck the engine. No way of knowing!

Oil leak - common area is the oil pressure switch - easy fix if it is that.

Coolant leak - check for the obvious, look for mayo in the filler cap (bear in mind that they have a seal behind the water pump on the timing gasket that lets coolant into the oil if it fails.)

Personally, unless you're willing to commit more money than the car is probably worth - I'd just run it and keep my fingers crossed.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - [url]http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html#post1534[/url]

Comment

Agreed with Taurus.

Either spend a good few hundred quid on it, in which case it's not much of a bargain anymore and you could probably get one easier. Or just use it as a work horse until implodes and get your money back from selling it

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
        That sure sounds like a knackered timing chain to me. Two basic options - you start spending money on it and make everything good, or you just accept it is a 50 car and run it until something goes bang.

The thing with the timing chains is that they can run like that for ages - or they can jump tomorrow and wreck the engine. No way of knowing!

Oil leak - common area is the oil pressure switch - easy fix if it is that.

Coolant leak - check for the obvious, look for mayo in the filler cap (bear in mind that they have a seal behind the water pump on the timing gasket that lets coolant into the oil if it fails.)

Personally, unless you're willing to commit more money than the car is probably worth - I'd just run it and keep my fingers crossed.
        thanks for the advice both, yeah it was never about making money just abit of fun see what i could do, is the water pump seal a pain to fix ? ive got a feeling thats where the problem lies based on what my friend has described and im assuming the timing chain isnt a cheap fix either (full kit + labour).

Comment

The seal behind the water pump is part of the timing cover gasket. If you changed the timing chain you'd have to do the gasket at the same time - so if that is the leak then you kill two birds with one stone. But it's only worth using a genuine GM timing kit (Autovaux sell them at a good price). You also need a timing kit as there are no marks on the engine.

For a 50 car I'd run it until it dies then you'll easily get your money back in scrap or breaking for parts.

The alternative view is that if you want to learn on something that doesn't owe you anything then it's a great place to start. Depends what your priorities are - if you want transport then run it into the ground. If you want to learn and don't mind paying for the tools and parts then it's a project to get your teeth into.

Definitely not worth paying the labour on though. Only feasible as a DIY project.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - [url]http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html#post1534[/url]

Comment

Make sure you join the AA you just might need them😊

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X