vauxhall corsa 53 1.3 cdti wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] vauxhall corsa 53 1.3 cdti wont start

hi i have recently replaced my battery in a Vauxhall corsa 1.3 53 plate corsa van
    it not wont start it begins to tick over for about 5 seconds then stops and all you can hear is like a belt winding, i put it in first gear then turn the engine on and it pulls forward, car was left sat with flat battery for about 2 days
    tried removing fuel pump fuse and starting but still did not fire, tried re-setting following user manual

UPDATE!!

After abit of research I think it could be a crankshaft sensor, due to uneven turn over it relays to the fuel pump so starves to engin
    any thoughts on this guys ?
    Last edited by tylersutton; 05-03-2016, 09:15 PM.

Are you sure the new battery is fully charged?
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

havent got anything to prove batter is charged but brought brand new never used before, all the electrics now work but won't start original problem was what I believed a flat battery no light etc then after changing this has occurred

Comment

I'm not sure that I understand this - You say that it won't start, but then you say that it ticks over for about five seconds.
        Are you saying that the engine will start, but then stops after five seconds?
        Reading your reply to Torus, it seems that you are saying that it won't start at all now.
        A very rough check on the state of the battery without using a voltmeter, is to observe the lights whilst the starter is operating - If they go very dim or go out, it is likely that the battery is not fully charged or that there is high resistance in a connection.
        If doing the above proves inconclusive, you could try 'jump' starting from another vehicle - If it starts whilst jumping, it is probably telling you that the new battery is faulty, or at least, not fully charged.

Regards

Comment

The engine doesn't fire at all as in it don't run, when I turn the key it ticks over but does not fire, when the key is turned it makes a sort of ticking noise for about 5 seconds then stops and all you hear is a winding noice as in a belt running, if I put the car into 1st gear and turn key it pulls the car forward wich showes me that the mechanical parts haven't broken and still turn, the engine just never fires so wondering if it is a sensor, as in it isn't sensing petrol or something shootin in the dark really just trying to save some money by doing it myself

Comment

I'm still confused.what do you you mean by 'ticking over'? Does the engine crank -ie turns over 'lustily' trying to start but does not start. Or are you just getting lights on the dashboard and when you turn the key further you just get a clicking noise and a whirring noise . If the engine cranks well the problem lies elsewhere. If you just get the clicking and whirring the battery is probably almost flat. You may have just enough power to light the ignition lights and start the fuel pump (the whirring noise-or that might be your heater fan or something) but not enough to fully activate the starter.The clicking could be the starter solenoid switch activating but the starter motor is not getting enough power to crank the engine. I know a starter motor can move a car in gear but I dont know if a level of power exists where it can move a car yet not crank an engine.
            Last edited by Bugman; 06-03-2016, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I think that I am getting the idea of this now.
              Rather than 'ticking over,' I reckon you mean 'KICKING over', i.e., the starter turns the engine but the engine then fails to start.
              If this is the case, you need to do a couple of checks and then come back to us.
              (a) Check that there is fuel getting to the fuel rail. *
              (b) Check that you have a spark.
              I am assuming here that the battery is reasonably charged, as I would imagine it to be if you can move the car on the starter, and that you have fuel in the tank.

* To check for pressure in the rail, remove the screw-on plastic cap on the test valve at the back of the engine, with plenty of old rag held there to catch the petrol, briefly press down the valve core, if you get a good squirt of petrol out of it, there is pressure in the rail - If you are in anyway unsure about doing this, make sure that you are wearing safety goggles.

Regards

Comment

Just for clarification - this is a diesel engine.

First thing first - diesels take a hefty amount of current to fire up. Firstly the glow plugs take a fair amount of juice, then the starter needs to turn against the compressions of the diesel engine. A new battery does not automatically mean a fully charged battery. I've even seen someone buy a battery for a petrol engine, fit it into a diesel and then wonder why it won't fire up.

Buy yourself a basic battery charger, disconnect the earth terminal, hook up the charger and leave overnight. Try it in the morning and tell us what is happening.
                1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Okay so you guys was right charged the battery and got it started, but now the van run really sluggish as in struggles to gain spread and also the engine sounds really loud as in it sounds like a loud Cain winding noise hard to explain is there anything that would be effected by the battery going flat? As the van didn't break down it just didn't start one morning, drove it about for about half and hour 45 mins and there wasn't really any sign of it improving, and thoughts? And yes it is a diesel engin, there was no smoke or anything when starting the van, it struggled on the first attempt to start but on the second started like a dream but as soon as I started driving I knew something wasn't quite right with it

Comment

Working...
                  X