Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corsa B 1998 unusual noises when cold start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Corsa B 1998 unusual noises when cold start.

Hi gentlemen.
    Yesterday I noticed that my 1998 corsa b, 1.4 8v makes strange noises when cold start. It disapears as soon as tmperature gets to 95 or may be little bit later. The sound comes from driver's side of the engine department. No idea what's wrong. Other than this sound I don't see anything wrong with car. It drives as perfect as usual. Checked oil level, its ok. Coolant level was the bottom of the coolant tank. Added some coolant, but it did not make any difference.
    Have a look at the video to hear that strange noise when cold start.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

do not run it. If the water pump goes it will snap the belt and then the valve will meet the pistons which isn't good. Again, the stethoscope method will tell you for sure.

So basically you really need to find out which it is before driving, just in case it isn't the alternator. As with all noises, you can only really tell face to face with the car, not over the internet.

Here's hoping it's nothing worse than the alternator.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
      do not run it. If the water pump goes it will snap the belt and then the valve will meet the pistons which isn't good. Again, the stethoscope method will tell you for sure.

So basically you really need to find out which it is before driving, just in case it isn't the alternator. As with all noises, you can only really tell face to face with the car, not over the internet.

Here's hoping it's nothing worse than the alternator.
      Thanks for your reply.
      I just ordered a stethoscope from ebay. I hope the sound comes from alternator.
      Will come back with an update as soon as stethoscope comes.

Comment

@Taurus - Is there a way to like spray oil in the alternator so that it does not damage BUT in fact help the moving parts be quieter ?

Comment

No - if it is the bearings in the alternator then spraying oil into it won't make any difference.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Ok, my strethoscope arrived and I checked the engine.
            So, I don't hear anything strange when I touch it to alternator. That strange noise comes from the bottom of cambelt, or to be more precise, its next to the lowest turning wheel to which cambelt is attached to. Don't know how to explain better .
            Any idea if my car will survive? .
            Thank you.

Comment

Rats, sounds like it's the water pump then. Bit of a pain to get at on those but you better check it out as the timing belt runs on it and if it goes it'll take the belt with it. The usual trick is to change the pump every time you do the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                Rats, sounds like it's the water pump then. Bit of a pain to get at on those but you better check it out as the timing belt runs on it and if it goes it'll take the belt with it. The usual trick is to change the pump every time you do the belt.
                Thank you.
                Water pump was changed about 12k miles ago, as well well the belt. Would it fail that quick?
                And the noise dissapears as soon as the engine gets warm enough.
                Anyway, I will go to a garage then.
                Last edited by liopik; 20-02-2016, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Depends on the quality of the pump and if the coolant is kept up to date. But any noise associated with the timing gear / water pump needs checking properly.

Comment

You could try temporarily removing the auxiliary drive belt - if the noise is still there with the belt off, at least you have eliminated the alternator and belt tensioner.
                    But, as Taurus says, if you even think that it might be from the pump, do not drive it, but get it sorted straight away.

Regards

Comment

Comment

Good to have an update - unusual cause of the noise, usually if the pulley has worked loose it'll make the noise all the time. I guess it was just loose enough for the heat to expand the fit once the engine got warm.

Comment

Working...
                        X