overheated engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] overheated engine

Hi everyone. I'm new to this and thanks to jt999 have managed to find how to post but unfortunately I'm computer illiterate and cannot see how to reply to his email. My son has a 2010 corsa d 1.2 energy. It lostrich all of its water the other day and also most of the oil. The water was all over the engine bay and the oil on the lower half of the engine. Towe'd him to the garage who topped up the water and oil and it sounded great. They kept it to have a look and removed the thermostat and asked that I try it for a couple of days to see how it goes. I took the car for a a run for under 10 miles and the sound changed. I would describe it as possibly like running an engine without an air filter, a deeper sound. I put the car on the drive and found water over the bulkhead and battery but not a huge amount, there was no water in the bottle so I left it to cool overnight. Even after it stood all night when I opened the cap on the water bottle it was very tight and it sounded like opening a bottle of fizzy juice. It was under so much pressure. The water bubbled back into the bottle and was still almost at the same level. I also checked the oil and it was fine. I cannot understand it and the garage say that it is probably the engine broken and will need replaced. Does anyone know if this is a common thing or any ideas. Any help appreciated

Those engines don't tolerate being overheated. What has most likely happened is that the head has warped crushing the head gasket. It is repairable but the cost will be significant. The garage is probably being fair suggesting a replacement engine as it's more cost effective if done by a workshop.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - [url]http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html#post1534[/url]

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.

This is a 'long shot', as it most probably is all down to the head/gasket, but as you say that there seemed to be very high pressure in the cooling system, there is a chance (a slim one, I admit) that the pressure relief valve in the coolant filler cap has become jammed shut - It's certainly worth a look before you buy another engine!

Regards

Comment

Date regarding this is I have now replaced the engine problem still there. The radiator and the left hose next to thermostat stone cold water spewing over engine compartment after short run. Now put brand new radiator and thermostat and housing on and still the same. It's like the water isn't circulating. Heater is red hot and there seems to be no pressure in the system or very little. Radiator bled for air too. Garage also baffled as to what can be the problem. Sits and ticks over fine but overheats and doesn't circulate when you take it for a run.

Comment

That sounds like an airlock - you won't cure it by bleeding the rad. They are very hard to clear of airlocks once it happens. Try draining it and refilling very very slowly - and I mean literally trickle the coolant in.

If you've changed the 'stat & rad it is very unlikely to be a stuck 'stat or a blocked rad.

Also check you've connected all the pipework the right way round!
          1972 Viva restoration thread - [url]http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html#post1534[/url]

Comment

The saga continues with this one. The car has now been taken from the local garage to the main vauxhall dealer. They are also stumped with it. It has been with them a week and initially they said they suspected the temperature sensor however it has a new one. They now suspect it may be the water pump impellor may be slackening when the engine is hot and are looking to replace the water pump but state if it doesn't repair it they cannot take it back off and I would have to pay for it along with the time. I suggested they spoke to vauxhall but the response was they would not be interested as it was not under warranty. Seriously stressed with this car, no one can find what is wrong. I don't suppose the head technician with vauxhall is a member of this forum and reading this and can provide me with the answer.

Comment

The car has had a replacement engine, a new radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, filler cap, temperature sensor. Also stripped the water pump off the original engine and it appeared alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                That sounds like an airlock - you won't cure it by bleeding the rad. They are very hard to clear of airlocks once it happens. Try draining it and refilling very very slowly - and I mean literally trickle the coolant in.

If you've changed the 'stat & rad it is very unlikely to be a stuck 'stat or a blocked rad.

Also check you've connected all the pipework the right way round!
                Those engines don't tolerate being overheated. What has most likely happened is that the head has warped crushing the head gasket. It is repairable but the cost will be significant. The garage is probably being fair suggesting a replacement engine as it's more cost effective if done by a workshop.
                Originally posted by walksall View Post
                Welcome to the Forum.

This is a 'long shot', as it most probably is all down to the head/gasket, but as you say that there seemed to be very high pressure in the cooling system, there is a chance (a slim one, I admit) that the pressure relief valve in the coolant filler cap has become jammed shut - It's certainly worth a look before you buy another engine!

Regards
                Originally posted by 5135jimmy View Post
                Date regarding this is I have now replaced the engine problem still there. The radiator and the left hose next to thermostat stone cold water spewing over engine compartment after short run. Now put brand new radiator and thermostat and housing on and still the same. It's like the water isn't circulating. Heater is red hot and there seems to be no pressure in the system or very little. Radiator bled for air too. Garage also baffled as to what can be the problem. Sits and ticks over fine but overheats and doesn't circulate when you take it for a run.
                Originally posted by 5135jimmy View Post
                Hi everyone. I'm new to this and thanks to jt999 have managed to find how to post but unfortunately I'm computer illiterate and cannot see how to reply to his email. My son has a 2010 corsa d 1.2 energy. It lostrich all of its water the other day and also most of the oil. The water was all over the engine bay and the oil on the lower half of the engine. Towe'd him to the garage who topped up the water and oil and it sounded great. They kept it to have a look and removed the thermostat and asked that I try it for a couple of days to see how it goes. I took the car for a a run for under 10 miles and the sound changed. I would describe it as possibly like running an engine without an air filter, a deeper sound. I put the car on the drive and found water over the bulkhead and battery but not a huge amount, there was no water in the bottle so I left it to cool overnight. Even after it stood all night when I opened the cap on the water bottle it was very tight and it sounded like opening a bottle of fizzy juice. It was under so much pressure. The water bubbled back into the bottle and was still almost at the same level. I also checked the oil and it was fine. I cannot understand it and the garage say that it is probably the engine broken and will need replaced. Does anyone know if this is a common thing or any ideas. Any help appreciated

Comment

I've lost the thread of what's going on with the last three posts. When was the replacement engine and was it a new unit or one salvaged from another car? I know Vauxhall had a batch of new engines early last year (I think) which for some reason failed early on and no-one could find out why. I was speaking to one of the guys (a good time served mechanic) who was given one to strip and he couldn't figure it out.

If guys who can see the car and inspect can't work out what's wrong then it's impossible to resolve this over a forum.

Comment

Comment

Hi. Thanks for the replies. Not sure if my reply posted but it appears the fan is not coming in. Any suggestions other than what I've already changed which would cause the fan not to come in. It runs if you supply the motor directly.

Comment

Check the fan relay

Comment

Check the fan relay
                          Thanks. All these questions. Where is it, is there just one for the radiator fan and will it be obvious. Cheers.

Comment

Well it's now running. It would appear it had something to do with the fan motor and the thermostat housing. To be honest I'm not convinced anyone knows what's wrong. It's now got the new thermostat housing on but with no thermostat inside. Fingers crossed it will keep going for him for a while.

Comment

That can cause localised overheating - the coolant flow relies on the restriction imposed by the thermostat to force the coolant to flow around the entire engine. Removing the 'stat causes the flow to 'short circuit' some areas so you get uneven cooling across the engine. Some areas will be cool and some will be very hot - even though your temperature gauge will read cool to normal. These engines do not do well when temperatures across the engine vary too much, they are very prone to warping when that happens. If it won't run right with a 'stat installed there's a problem somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X