Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Engine Oil

Morning,

Looking at changing the engine oil, Corsa 1.2 Elegance 2001 whats the best Oil/Filters/Air filters, how much oil do I need, also I take it the engine sump nut is all I have to find and then drain it through that

Many thanks

Last edited by Bugman; 04-02-2016, 09:44 AM.

Comment

As above, but I do all my oil changes plus neighbours, family & friends - usually not even changing clothes and reckon 10 minutes for the whole job. I use a vacuum pump to remove the oil. It just saves the hassle of raising the car and getting underneath to get at the simp nut. A decent vacuum pump will remove as much oil as dropping it out of the sump.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

There is a lot more to oil than just the viscosity (10/40 etc) - You need the correct specification for how/where you drive and the particular engine, this is normally printed on the container in the form of letters and numbers, your cars handbook gives a guide to the specification that you need.
        As recommended above, a genuine GM oil filter element from a Vauxhall dealer is the safest bet - there have been several cases of aftermarket filters breaking up and blocking oilways.
        I buy my oil from the local dealership as well - at least I know what I'm getting.
        If you are going to drop the oil from the sump drain plug, you would be as well fitting a new 'O' ring seal (they give me one when I buy the oil and filter.)
        These little engines will love you if you change the oil and filter pretty often - I don't do many miles these days, maybe 5,000 per year, maybe less, but I change the oil/filter twice each year.

I used to think that it wasn't so important that the air filter element was a genuine one - 'till I had one that created a heck of a noise at certain engine speeds.

That is good advice that Bugman has given regarding the Haynes Manual - Even if you don't do your own maintenance, it helps you to understand what is happening in the various parts of the car - If you do buy one, it is essential that you get the one that covers your exact model and year.

Regards

Comment

Apologies. Walksall is quite right about specification. I had assumed that any decent brand sold today would exceed the specification of oil the car left the factory with 15 years ago. It is important, especially on newer or tuned engines or using the ridiculously long service intervals of recent models.

Comment

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, Haynes manual will be forthcoming and I will be following you advice to the letter.

Many thanks

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
              As above, but I do all my oil changes plus neighbours, family & friends - usually not even changing clothes and reckon 10 minutes for the whole job. I use a vacuum pump to remove the oil. It just saves the hassle of raising the car and getting underneath to get at the simp nut. A decent vacuum pump will remove as much oil as dropping it out of the sump.

Could you possibly provide a link to what you use? This sounds much easier when doing cars like you've said

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
                Could you possibly provide a link to what you use? This sounds much easier when doing cars like you've said
                This is the one I have - 6.5 litres so I can do a couple of cars at a time. But for the price Demon Tweeks are charging at the moment it's a bargain. Buy Sealey Vacuum Oil & Fluid Extractor Manual 6.5ltr - TP69 - TP69 | Demon Tweeks

Also handy for any kind of fluid, transmission fluid (make sure it's warm though) or engine coolant. On my own cars to save draining the coolant every few years I periodically empty the header tank and refill with fresh coolant. If you do it often enough you keep the anti-corrosion properties topped up so there's never any need to flush the system.

Re. oils by the way - for a 2001 1.2 most decent branded oils are fine. I use Comma 10W/40 semi-synth or 5W/30 in them. No need to be paying silly prices for some of the higher end oils. Change every 5k and expect to get well over 100k from your engine with no serious issues.
                1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
                X