Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] How the analogue odometer functions

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong on the function of the analogue Odometer in the Corsa B (1.0 litre)

A sensor on the gearbox reports the mileage to the ECU.

The ECU reports this to the Tachometer head.

Electronics in the Tachometer head convert this to a mechanical motion and moves the dials on the odometer appropriately

There is NO mechanical tacho cable (the square drive) from the Gearbox to the tachometer head as in older vehicles.

Is that about right?

Regards

I'm fairly sure my old B had a mechanical cable - it was a '94 1.2 8v though so likely different.

Comment

I remember back in the day a common question was whether a speedo was mechanical or digital - the way to tell was that one started at 0 mph and the other at 10 mph. The 12v engines were all digital and there was no mechanical cable to the speedo.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
        I remember back in the day a common question was whether a speedo was mechanical or digital - the way to tell was that one started at 0 mph and the other at 10 mph. The 12v engines were all digital and there was no mechanical cable to the speedo.
        You mean the actual odometer is analogue (mine is and it is a 1998 corsa B 12v) but the 'process' of recording the mileage on said odometer (not speed I am taking about though it is related) is - as I alluded to in my first post - via electronics/digital?

If so, in theory then if someone disconnects the vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox, they can effectively 'clock' the car akin to removing the cable in the old days.

Comment

Sorry - the odometer is analogue, the difference between a digital and mechanical drive is indicated by where the speed readings start.

If someone disconnected the speed sensor you'd have a pretty undriveable car because the ECU varies the PAS according to speed. At 70 mph you'd be getting the same steering inputs as reversing out of a parking space - basically it would be a ditch finder.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
          X