Strange wheel sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Strange wheel sound

Hi guys, new to this. Anyway I have a 2010 corsa 1.4 exclusive. I'm getting a kind of swishing sound it kind of resonates from one of my wheels. It happens at certain speeds. Nothing there at low speeds. I get it between 25-35mph then again at 40-45mph dissappears at high speed. Really don't know what it is. Car is going in for a full service in a few days. They will check bearings and brakes with it. I did notice that one of my rear wheels doesn't seem to have balance weights on it. Could this be the problem? just wanted to know if anyone has had the same experience.

I doubt balance weights - or lack of - would cause a 'swishing' sound. Could be something in the brakes, or I had one a while back with a rag wrapped round the hub which was making a noise. If it's a front wheel making the noise try spraying the rubber boots on the drive shaft with a dilute solution of washing up liquid. I've seen a few CVJ boots make weird noises, spraying them with washing up solution solves it until it gets washed off.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thanks for your input. I think it's strange how it's not there all the time, only at certain speeds. That's what makes me think it's an unbalanced wheel. It's just passed an MOT with it, so God knows. Front brakes look OK, it's drums in the rear. I'll need to Jack it up and have a closer look.

Comment

Out of balanced wheels are normally felt as vibration,not an actual noise. Your rear wheel may by chance have been in balance without needing weights. . The mot should have picked up any problem with bearings or something obviously rubbing but wouldnt pick up 'swishing 'at speed.
        It may be an anti squeal shim is vibrating, or the calipers or pads not retracting smoothly or something. It might improve with a bit of a clean up and some copper grease in the appropriate places.It might even be included a part of the service, but make sure the mechanic is aware of the problem.

Incidentally if a wheel suddenly gives symptoms of being unbalanced it should be investigated immediately. It may have lost a weight but it can be caused by a serious tyre failure,such as a bulge forming in a side wall (that could be on the inside wall) Probably not the cause here but worth checking. Unbalanced wheels can also be caused by a build up of mud,often hidden.
        Last edited by Bugman; 15-01-2016, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Noises made by drive boots only come at certain speeds - that's what made me mention the possibility. I've only ever seen it a few times, but once you've heard it you know it straight away afterwards.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Try applying the foot brake very slightly as you drive, if the sound stops, it is likely to be brake related - Still needs investigating though.
            If applying the hand brake a few notches as you drive stops the noise, then it will be the rear brakes that are causing it.

Regards

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. Need to Jack it up and have a look.

Comment

OK, car went in for full service today. Told the guys about the sound. Anyway they took it for a test drive before the service and heard the sound. Got the service done and the sound has gone. Guy at garage reckons it was a dirty brake.

Comment

Working...
                X