Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foot pedal flat out and revs not going above 1500 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Foot pedal flat out and revs not going above 1500 ?

My 1.3 diesel corsa started to go wrong while i was on the road today, eventually i pulled over and had to get it recovered!

when i put my foot to the floor on the excellerator, it doesnt go above 1500 revs, and when i was driving it would struggle going over 20mph.

jist out of interest i would like to know if anyone knows what could be wrong with it, just to prepare myself for when i get billed by the garage :-/

Is the servicing up to date? Things like blocked/contaminated fuel filters can cause this type of problem.
    Was there any other symptoms? (excessive exhaust smoke may be)
    Probably best to check for fault codes, clear any old ones and see if any return.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
      Is the servicing up to date? Things like blocked/contaminated fuel filters can cause this type of problem.
      Was there any other symptoms? (excessive exhaust smoke may be)
      Probably best to check for fault codes, clear any old ones and see if any return.

Regards

Comment

Halfords say alot of crap...like...loads!

My CDTi did similar and it was the EGR valve.

Go to an independant garage before paying for any work
        Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

Many fast servicing establishments try it on.They make their money on extras. You cant odds it needing its mot. But dont let them use it to rush you into un necessary work. It would be sensible to get it serviced,which would include oil. But it doesnt need to be Halfords that do the mot or servicing.Or supply parts.

The tyres might still be serviceable enough for the MOT,with an 'advisory' that they need to be done soon. Incidentally it would be better and safer to replace all 4, so they are evenly matched. Some places offer good deals for 4 which would cost little more than 3.

Get a second opinion on the leak,it might be trivial and easily fixed. and if so the antifreeze may still be ok.

Its recommended that brake fluid is changed periodically,and they are right to point it out.But its not compulsory.

Change the number plate light and alternator belt yourself.

The condition of shock absorbers is subjective. One tester may pass one that another will fail.(and you already know the opinion of halfords tester) If one is obviously shagged its best to get both rears replaced,before the mot. Or keep your fingers crossed

At one time I had my cars mot tested in the kent county council workshops. My local borough council also did mot's. Both were open to anyone. Not just council employees. They charged full mot fee, but it was totally impartial, unlike discounted testing which are often a loss leader for more work.
          Last edited by Bugman; 05-01-2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
            Many fast servicing establishments try it on.They make their money on extras. You cant odds it needing its mot. But dont let them use it to rush you into un necessary work. It would be sensible to get it serviced,which would include oil. But it doesnt need to be Halfords that do the mot or servicing.Or supply parts.

The tyres might still be serviceable enough for the MOT,with an 'advisory' that they need to be done soon. Incidentally it would be better and safer to replace all 4, so they are evenly matched. Some places offer good deals for 4 which would cost little more than 3.

Get a second opinion on the leak,it might be trivial and easily fixed. and if so the antifreeze may still be ok.

Its recommended that brake fluid is changed periodically,and they are right to point it out.But its not compulsory.

Change the number plate light and alternator belt yourself.

The condition of shock absorbers is subjective. One tester may pass one that another will fail.(and you already know the opinion of halfords tester) If one is obviously shagged its best to get both rears replaced,before the mot. Or keep your fingers crossed

At one time I had my cars mot tested in the kent county council workshops. My local borough council also did mot's. Both were open to anyone. Not just council employees. They charged full mot fee, but it was totally impartial, unlike discounted testing which are often a loss leader for more work.

Comment

I never failed a test. As far as I know mine only did repairs on their own vehicles,but the mot's are a business venture so maybe some also do repairs. But that kind of makes them just like any other garage hoping for repair work.
              Their contract is with you. If its your agent (ie your mum) paying over the cash they might have been reluctant to hand over your bill or indeed your car.Maybe. Probably just the computer expert is still on holiday or on a break.

Comment

Nope, i was with my mum when she paid it. But he couldnt tell me which bit costed what, not sure why, if hes calculated the bill then surely he would know

Comment

A company as big as Halfords may have computerised costings. He just lists the jobs and the computer tells him what to charge.

Comment

I must be missing something here.
                    Not one of those items that Halfords has listed will prevent your car from revving above 1,500 RPM.
                    They may well be correct that the work that they specified needed doing, but that was NOT what you asked them to do.
                    As I understand this, you asked Halfords to sort out the failure to start/unable to rev problem; if they found additional work that needed doing, they should have notified you, it would then be up to you to agree or otherwise to having this work done.
                    It seems to me that they have totally ignored your instructions and given you a list of items that have no relation whatsoever to the problem that you were experiencing.
                    You have accepted their word, trusting them as 'experts' to repair the car to your instructions.
                    You need to be very careful now, as to how you proceed.
                    If you belong to the AA or RAC, it might be an idea to get them involved and check for the problem for you.
                    If you are not a member, it might even pay to have an independent motor engineer check the car for you, not just for the fault, but also check on the work that has been carried out.
                    The problem with the above advice, is that it will cost money, and I understand that this might be a problem at the moment.
                    An alternative might be to ask around locally for a TRUSTWORTHY independent garage to recover the car for you and carry out whatever work is required.
                    I feel that you now need to be prepared to do a little 'desk thumping' at Halfords, maybe taking your mum with you, as it was her who paid the bill.
                    If you don't have any success at the branch, then contact their head office (the address will no doubt be on the invoice)
                    You could also do worse than make an appointment with your local council Trading Standards Department, explaining the situation to them - You may also be able to get some free legal advice from your local Citizens Advice Department.
                    Do let us know how you go on with this.
                    Wishing you the very best of luck in sorting this out.

Comment

I agree with walksall on this. I must admit I had assumed the price included sorting out the actual problem, particularly as they will be clearing the fault codes. If they have undertaken additional work but lacking the skill to diagnose and fix what you went in for, you may have good cause for complaint.Especially if they start trying to up the bill.

Comment

I don't very often get cross about things on here, but I can't stop thinking about this case, even my wife is getting cross about it!
                        After putting my remarks on here yesterday, a couple more thoughts came to mind:
                        Did they actually carry out the MoT? - If so, it would be interesting to know just how they did so without the engine running. You might care to contact the technical department at DVLC Swansea and inform them of the situation.
                        I read the Daily Express, in which there is a weekly column by 'Crusader' who looks into scams and is very successful at getting people their money back - it may well be that other newspapers have a similar column.
                        If enough people have a complaint about a company, the BBC's 'Watchdog' program also like to take up the cause.

The other thing that annoys me about cases like this, is that some slick b*****d probably claimed a bonus payment for selling you all of that (possibly) unnecessary work - they don't try it on with people like bankers who could afford it, they always go for what they see as the easy option.
                        I just hope that other people who might have been thinking about using this trader, read your case and go elsewhere.

Not all garages are rogues, there are some very honest people in the motor trade. Anyone who doesn't know who to trust for their car repairs really should ask around in their locality to find the good and the not-so-good. One way to do this is by joining your local 'STREETLIFE' on-line, people on there are always asking for recommended traders of all trades.
                        If you would care to tell us what part of the country you live in, there may well be someone on this forum who can recommend a decent garage to you.

Do keep us up-to-date on this, I am quite sure that there will be many followers who would be interested in the outcome.

Regards

Comment

Re-reading through this thread and attempting to answer your question to Bugman, local Councils who carry out MoTs for the public, (normally) do not do any repairs. That is the beauty of them, they are unbiased. So if the car does not pass its test, you can then take it to a garage, ask them to do whatever is required, being pretty sure that once the work has been done, you can take it back to the Council and it will then pass. Providing that you are within the time allowed, there won't be an extra charge for the re-test.
                          Beware of cut price MoTs, as Bugman says, these are often a 'loss leader', enabling them to charge you for work that may, or may not need doing.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	110579

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	110580

Comment