Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corsa C, this inner drive shaft gaiter been fitted correctly?? (pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Corsa C, this inner drive shaft gaiter been fitted correctly?? (pic)

My son had the inner passenger side gaiter replaced as it had split.

The new one the independent garage fitted looks "wonky" for lack of a better word and isnt held on with metal ties, just normal cable ties. The tie isn't sat in the groove of the boot very well either if you look closely.
    Should I be concerned?
    Thanks for help guys.

2015-12-17_06-36-21 by poopy doop, on Flickr

Not a very neat job. Though there's nothing wrong with using cable ties as a repair a new gaiter should have come with wire clips. They can be fiddly to fit and I suspect they've used the cable ties as a quicker way of doing it. It doesn't look good but so long as it's secure it shouldn't be a problem. If it isn't secure it will fall off pretty quickly so you'll know soon enough.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

When I blow this picture up, I can see grease escaping already.
      I would be tempted to re position the gaiter, and if need be, put a new cable tie round it - and do so before you loose any more grease.
      As Torus says, there is nothing wrong with using cable ties, providing that you get them tight enough - I like to hold the 'free' end with pliers, as close to the head end as possible, then use a screwdriver blade to lever against the pliers to tighten the tie - You can buy a special tool for this job.
      The alternative, is to take it back to whoever did the work in the first place.

More concerning, is what looks to be a crack in the casing to the left of the picture - that would be worth a close inspection.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
        When I blow this picture up, I can see grease escaping already.
        I would be tempted to re position the gaiter, and if need be, put a new cable tie round it - and do so before you loose any more grease.
        As Torus says, there is nothing wrong with using cable ties, providing that you get them tight enough - I like to hold the 'free' end with pliers, as close to the head end as possible, then use a screwdriver blade to lever against the pliers to tighten the tie - You can buy a special tool for this job.
        The alternative, is to take it back to whoever did the work in the first place.

More concerning, is what looks to be a crack in the casing to the left of the picture - that would be worth a close inspection.

Regards

Thanks for all the help and info guys. Walksall, is it the area I have circled in black that you say could be a crack in the casing??

fault by poopy doop, on Flickr

Comment

I think the "crack" is lower down in the photo but I don't think it is a crack. It looks like a bit of rough casting that is casting a shadow. Take a photo from a different angle.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
          X