No announcement yet.

Going from 155/80R13 to 175/70R13. Is it safe? Corsa C 2001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Going from 155/80R13 to 175/70R13. Is it safe? Corsa C 2001

Hi all,
    Just wondering if it is safe to fit 175/70 R13 tyres on the stock 13inch steelies on my corsa c 2001. Currently it has 155/80 R13 and treads are running out so need to change. I have had mixed opinions about this from tyre shops. Some say it will be fine and some say it won't. So what are your thoughts? Has anyone done this and was it safe/ok? Will the tyre rub on full lock?

It's only a 1.2% change in wall thickness so speedo won't be too off and mpg will go down but not bothered.

Thanks

You'll suffer in the wet and more so on ice and snow. Personally I'd stick to the originals.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I can understand the snow and ice but but why will I suffer more in the wet? Surely I'll get a contact patch slightly bigger which should help during turns?

Comment

Going from 155/80R13 to 175/70R13. Is it safe? Corsa C 2001

Wider tyres mean you're more likely to aquaplane

Why do you want to change them?
        TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

They look better and wider tyre wears out less

Comment

Last edited by Bugman; 04-12-2015, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mynameisblu View Post
              I can understand the snow and ice but but why will I suffer more in the wet? Surely I'll get a contact patch slightly bigger which should help during turns?
              Because wider contact area means less grip per square inch. Your Corsa weight spread over a larger contact area reduces the ability of the tyre to clear water from the tread.
              1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
              X