Checking mileage if clocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Checking mileage if clocked

Is there a way by using OPCOM that the mileage on a Corsa C (2006) can be verified?

Does OPCOM (or other method) show the mileage?

If so, does it only report what is in the currently in the ECU (i.e that displayed on the dashboard) or does it report the original mileage and/or any changes.

Looking at a 06 Corsa but I am a bit suspect.

I will check out the steering wheel, gaitor and pedals for weAR. I have only seen pictures so far.

regards
    Last edited by zuluman; 02-12-2015, 12:19 PM.

Check its previous mot history and mileage on the new .gov website,its a start for now.Just put in the reg no and make.

Check the MOT history of a vehicle - GOV.UK

Comment

Thanks for your help, but the vehicle is located in Ireland.

Whereby, your link will be helpful as I believe it was imported from the UK. It is badged as a Vauxhall whereas they are badged as 'Opel' if they were originally sold in Ireland.

I would have to get the original reg etc.

There is the equivalent of MOT here BUT if the vehicle was clocked, it will show the clocked mileage.

As far as I know, the NCT (MOT equiv) does not store past mileage. Not sure though and not sure if it can be accessedfrom NCT or the likes of cartell.ie directly

Dubious owners will have 'lost'the previous NCT sheets with the mileage on it

In any event it may have been clocked for a length of time. The NCT is completed every year so each year may only show the clocked version.

Comment

Had a look at that site and inputted a UK reg car for sale here in Ireland.

Great site!

Good tip for future use for imports - thanks

Still need to know though in this case what OPCOM will show up

Comment

Hi
          As you say, if its badged as a vauxhall its probably previously registered in the uk .There are lots of checks you can do if you know the uk registration number. But as far as I know only DVLA,police etc can trace a cars registration number from its VIN chassis number and they probably wont tell you. Is the original UK registration number shown on the Irish registration papers?The uk papers would have been checked at import and probably recorded somewhere. They might tell you. If the car is being sold by a dealer and you have reason to suspect it has been 'clocked' its possible your local trading standards department (if you have such a thing) might be able to obtain details from the authorities.
          Alternatively check carefully through any papers in the car such as owners handbook,service books, any old invoices, service stickers etc . You might find it written down somewhere. Another slight possibility is an opel main dealer. They might be able to trace it through their system for checking safety recalls,and might 'accidentally' reveal it to you.

Comment

The ECU will record mileage but there's always the snag that you can replace the ECU so even that's no guarantee.

Go with you instinct. A clocked car will usually have indications of wear and tear that aren't consistent with the shown mileage. If in doubt walk away.
            1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Wouldn't really bother me on a car of this age anyway..

I've seen some right ****ters with 50k; and some really well looked after ones with 130k.. Judge it on what you see, and hear. Receipts and service history.

Comment

thanks- will have to get a look at it.

Practically none of them have any decent service history though let alone receipts :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                  The ECU will record mileage but there's always the snag that you can replace the ECU so even that's no guarantee.

Go with you instinct. A clocked car will usually have indications of wear and tear that aren't consistent with the shown mileage. If in doubt walk away.
                  Assuming that an ECU was NOT changed, will a clocking show up in OPCOM or will it just show what is now on the ECU?

You know what I mean? Will it show original and current miles or just current miles?

Comment

The ECU should record the genuine mileage of the vehicle. I've never used Opcom to check the miles and my copy went phut when my laptop broke so I can't try it out to see.
                    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I have no 'C' to try it on but I will look around in the OPCOM interface more

The target car is quite a distance away

If you did not use OPCOM, did you have another way to check the Original miles (paper clip test to get it to display on the dash or something??)?

As an aside - owner will give me UK reg, so I can have a look on the aforementioned site (#2 above) to see if mileage tallys over its lifetime to what is now being claimed

Just another question - is it possible for a UK car to have its reg no changed over its lifetime?

I could think of a 'uncommon' situation where someone replaces a 'normal' reg. for gets a personalised one.

Are there other situations where a 'normal' reg. is swapped for another 'normal' one?

Thank you

Comment

Car was subsequently withdrawn form sale.

Something was not right with it, I feel.

Comment

Working...
                        X