Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Non Corsa] Caliper bleed seat damage

Hi guys,

Basically I've had a sh*t storm when changing the discs, pads and brake fluid on the ibiza. Not only are discs and pads silly money but I've had a bleed nipple snap in the front AP caliper and a rear Lucas caliper. With both I took all precautionary steps to make sure they didn't snap but the inevitable happened.

The machine shop who drilled out the nipples have damaged the nipple seat in both calipers so even with the nipples tight fluid still comes out and now I genuinely don't know how many steps there are to fixing this and I can't find much online.

Does anyone know how I can sort this without forking out 600+ for a new AP caliper and 60 for a refurbished rear?

Thanks,
    Sam

Can't be that expansive on eBay?
    Sounds the easier option TBH, wouldn't be risking any short term fixes on brakes

Comment

Hi Sam, ouch - that sounds nasty. What thread are the original bleed nipples? My thoughts are that the older unf threads are bigger, so could you drill out the threads, re-tap them with some classic unf threads and solve it that way? I don't have my usual suppliers details to hand, but Google unf brake nipples and they're easy enough to source.

Or go the next size up in metric?
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
        Can't be that expansive on eBay?
        Sounds the easier option TBH, wouldn't be risking any short term fixes on brakes
        Originally posted by Taurus View Post
        Hi Sam, ouch - that sounds nasty. What thread are the original bleed nipples? My thoughts are that the older unf threads are bigger, so could you drill out the threads, re-tap them with some classic unf threads and solve it that way? I don't have my usual suppliers details to hand, but Google unf brake nipples and they're easy enough to source.

Or go the next size up in metric?
        Hi Taurus,

The full spec of the nipples are:

- Material = Steel.
        - Surface treatment = Zinc passivate.
        - Thread = M10 x 1.0
        - Overall Length = 32.95mm

I'm popping down to the shop tomorrow to see what they problem solve but I won't be rushing it. I'll look into the UNF parts now thanks!

Comment

Comment

Comment

How about using the oversize nipples as Torus suggests and getting the machine shop to (1) Drill and tap to suit the new nipples (2) Re cut the seats as per new nipples also.
              If you can get new nipples slightly longer than the old, that would compensate for the seat cutting.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
                How about using the oversize nipples as Torus suggests and getting the machine shop to (1) Drill and tap to suit the new nipples (2) Re cut the seats as per new nipples also.
                If you can get new nipples slightly longer than the old, that would compensate for the seat cutting.

Regards

Comment

A "bodge" fix is to seal the bleed on a standard bolt and copper or ally washer.
                  You need a bolt of the same thread (in your case M10 x 1.0 - sounds big for a bleed nipple, and a fine thread into ally is not usual. Are you sure this is the bleed nipple and not the banjo bolt?)
                  Anyway, put a saw cut up the thread, and bleed by loosening the bolt while a chum pressures the brake system (or, I guess, use an easy bleed kit). You will need to lock the bolt down before the pressure is off else air will be drawn back in. Yes, it is messy, but will get you back on the road until you get a proper fix.

Comment

Comment

Glad to hear it's sorted. Jobs that turn into major issues aren't fun.
                      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                        Glad to hear it's sorted. Jobs that turn into major issues aren't fun.
                        As am I and no not at all!

Comment

Working...
                        X