Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corsa c 1.0 12v 2004 No spark no fuel no eml light on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Corsa c 1.0 12v 2004 No spark no fuel no eml light on?

Hi all,i'm a nubee on here so go easy on me.The problem i have is with a corsa c 1.0 12v 2004 model,i won it on Ebay knowing it was a non runner,the owner reckons the AA looked at it and said the Throttle position sensor is goosed.Anyhow once i got it home this is what i've found so far.

There is no spark...however the plugs are a lovely cream colour,so its been running ok.

There is no fuel getting to the spark plugs....after turning the engine over the plugs are dry.

No EML light showing on the dash.

ECU isn't talking to the OBD code reader.

Speedo and rev counter don't respond........tried bump starting it as we towed it home,the speedo didn't move once.

I've ordered a new crank sensor as after reading many forums the crank sensor seems to be an issue.

Looking at buying an ECU kit off Ebay,that has the ECU,keys,clocks etc with it.

I've had a quick look around the forum and i can't find a thread with these problems.Can anybody give me a bit of help which way to go with it.
    Cheers in advance

It does sound like the ECU is dead. Check the earth on it, they can be temperamental at times. Check the connections and wiring, a major supply problem to the ECU will cause all the issues you describe.

The 12v ECU can be tricky to read with some code readers, the best system for reading them is Opcom.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

As this car is something of the unknown, it might pay to do some REAL basic checks.
      Start by giving the battery a good charge.
      If you have a voltmeter/multimeter, you could check to see just how far into the system the battery voltage gets - not forgetting that if there is high resistance (say due to corrosion) you are likely to still get battery voltage (or something close tom it) there, but the current can be cut right down, so verify with the use of a test light which will put a bit more load on the circuit.
      If you have a decent voltage, but the bulb is dim or fails to light, then there is resistance in the system.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
        It does sound like the ECU is dead. Check the earth on it, they can be temperamental at times. Check the connections and wiring, a major supply problem to the ECU will cause all the issues you describe.

The 12v ECU can be tricky to read with some code readers, the best system for reading them is Opcom.
        Originally posted by walksall View Post
        As this car is something of the unknown, it might pay to do some REAL basic checks.
        Start by giving the battery a good charge.
        If you have a voltmeter/multimeter, you could check to see just how far into the system the battery voltage gets - not forgetting that if there is high resistance (say due to corrosion) you are likely to still get battery voltage (or something close tom it) there, but the current can be cut right down, so verify with the use of a test light which will put a bit more load on the circuit.
        If you have a decent voltage, but the bulb is dim or fails to light, then there is resistance in the system.

Regards
        Thanks for the pointers,i have the battery on charge as i type this,it was totally flat when i collected it.I am just going to have a look at the earth and the wiring around the ECU in a moment.I will update the thread when i get somewhere with it,but thanks for your help up to now.

Edit: Just put a fresh battery on,then checked and cleaned the earth to the ECU...Still the same....Is the ECU dead? as when the ignition is switched on,the airbag and abs lights illuminate then go out,but the EML never comes on?
        Last edited by 222mark; 07-10-2015, 05:55 PM.

Comment

EML bulb could have blown of course. Check if the fuel pump runs a priming charge when the ignition is on but before cranking. There should be fuel pressure at the rail. The ecu earths the fuel pump relay until pressure is established. No pressure points to an ecu fault.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
            EML bulb could have blown of course. Check if the fuel pump runs a priming charge when the ignition is on but before cranking. There should be fuel pressure at the rail. The ecu earths the fuel pump relay until pressure is established. No pressure points to an ecu fault.
            Thanks again.I will check the fuel pressure at the rail tomorrow,but i did notice that i can't hear the fuel pump prime up when i turn the ignition on.Anyhow i'm going to fit a new crank sensor tomorrow as well,so i will report back on how things go.

Comment

Right then,new crank sensor is now fitted so i then checked to see if there was any fuel pressure at the rail.Its non existent.

So upto now i've cleaned,checked and refitted the earth to the ECU.

Fitted a new crank sensor.

Still no spark and no fuel.At least i'm closing in on the fault.Dead ECU? or could the key have lost communication with the ECU? Are Corsa's prone to this?

Comment

You need to check the fuel pressure with the ignition on but before cranking the engine. The ECU should run a short priming burst for a second or so, then switch off.

It then waits for the crank sensor to detect engine rpm before switching on the fuel pump relay again.

A dud crank sensor will result in pressure before cranking but none after.

An immobiliser problem will do the same. And the EML should flash.

If the priming run isn't happening (which is independent of engine sensors) then it shows a fault with either the fuel pump relay, the wiring or the ECU itself. Given the lack of other lights I'd suspect the ECU is the issue.

Comment

Yeah i checked the fuel pressure by switching the ignition on,next port of call is get the ECU checked or check the key hasn't lost communication.Will keep you posted.

Comment

I'm just waiting delivery of an ECU kit so i thought i would remove all the old parts prior to its delivery.ECU,clocks and BSI thingy all removed ok but how hard can it be to remove the ignition barrel......seriously i've watched the Youtube video a hundred times and read the same advice time and time again but it isn't for moving i'm not at the head banging stage yet,but i'm not far away.

Comment

Barrel removed,ECU kit fitted..........................its exactly the same as before,no fuel pressure,no spark,no warning EML or service light illuminated

Comment

Is power getting to the ECU and the earth is good?

Comment

Well its alive! I refitted the original ecu and all the other related parts and gave the car to a local auto electrician.He did some testing around the wiring and found that the wiring from the ecu to the fusebox had melted inside the harness! He replaced the wiring and it started,but it wouldn't rev,it just idled even with the accelerator to the floor.
                          He checked the wiring to the accelerator pedal and discovered the earth from the ecu had failed.He took a chance and fitted an earth wire to the body instead and away it went,revved up like a gooden

Its been a journey with this Corsa but I got there in the end.

Comment

Comment

Well done!
                              With or without a refund on the ECU, it must be the cheapest Corsa 'C' ever.
                              I would strongly recommend that you give it a FULL service now, treat it to a GENUINE oil filter and a new fuel filter, maybe some new spark plugs.
                              These little engines love you if you change their oil and filter regularly - but don't buy spurious oil filter elements, it could end up costing you very dearly.

Regards

PS Don't forget the antifreeze - I would recommend Vauxhall coolant
                              Last edited by walksall; 21-11-2015, 05:11 PM. Reason: To add the PS

Comment

Working...
                              X