X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Removing Crank Angle Sensor 1.4 16v

Hello,
    Engine management light on -
    Done the flash light test and it gave code 19, crank angle sensor.

I wonder if anyone can help advise - how to remove the crank angle sensor.
    Just spent an unproductive hour underneath our Corsa, the bolt is so close to the sensor that a ring spanner or socket won't fit on!!!
    Can anyone advise the size of open ended spanner needed, and will it actually work or just burr the bolt head?
    Also how to remove the wire and the big rubber cup covering it?
    Many thanks.

Open ended won't work. From memory I use a slim 8mm ring spanner which fits on the torx head perfectly.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thank you Taurus, but I think Vauxhall must have changed the design to star later, ours is a Corsa B and looks like this, it's definitely a hex bolt and too close to the sensor itself to get a ring spanner on:-
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsa B Crank Angle Sensor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	110568

Comment

I think someone's replaced it. Looking at that I'd just use a suitable sized open ended on it
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Yeah,
          Open ended will do that no problem?

Comment

Ok, thank you Taurus & Vegas, will have another go tomorrow, been out too late today!
            Just searching for my 3/8 spanner, tried metric for fit earlier and the 9mm is too small, 10mm too big. Would you believe it...

Comment

Plenty of imperial spanners here. Funnily enough Japanese cars use them all the time. (As of course do proper Vauxhalls).

Comment

I've still got some Whitworth sizes if you really get stuck !!

Regards

Comment

I would be very surprised if that is an imperial bolt on a corsa.
                  The standard fitment down there is M6 x 1.0, so the head will be 10mmAF.
                  You need some better metric spanners mate.

Comment

Once bodge-it-and-scarper have been there you find all sorts of weird things. If someone strips a thread and they only have an imperial tap to hand that's what goes in.

Comment

From the photo it looks like the bolt has markings on the head. If its something like 4.6 or 5.6 or 8.8. its steel strength markings on a metric bolt. If the markings are different it may be imperial. You can probably identify it on- line.
                      If it has been swopped for a non standard imperial bolt its possibly because of thread damage.(sorry !) Course unc and whitworth threads can be better than metric when tapped into alloy. On a more positive note. I seem to recall that to overcome the problem of having mixed threads on the same car some makers used hybrid bolts, metric thread with imperial head,and vice versa.
                      edit. whoops ,Looks like I crossed with taurus saying basically the same thing.
                      Last edited by Bugman; 01-10-2015, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for the help so far, and yes I'm still struggling with this! Will try again this weekend....

Looks like you're right, I think the job has been done (& bodged) before, not unusual I suppose on a 20-year old Corsa, but it was before we got it 5 years ago.

Eventually found a 3/8" spanner and it is just a tiny bit too small!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again tried the 10mm and it's big enough to start to slip and round off the bolt's corners. Maybe I need a 9.75mm spanner. Just squirted some more freeing oil on it.
                        If there was more access I could chop off the bolt head and drill out the stub, using a new bolt with a nut on the back, there seems to be room for a nut. But getting a drill in there at the right angle is impossible.
                        I need to get the plastic cowling off the bottom next, and that seems to be fixed with small (rusty) torx screws...

Comment

If its bigger than 9mm and smaller than 10mm I cant think what else it can be but 3/8" af. Are you sure the flats are not distorted, or the spanner may not be of great quality. If there is room you could try filing or grinding one face of the bolt hex until your spanner fits. Or if the spanner seems cheap quality and you are willing to sacrifice it for one job you could file the jaw slightly.Or try a better quality spanner. You may be able to get a used one very cheap on a second hand stall in the market ,bric a brac shop etc.
                          Other methods which may work on a smallish bolt - Good quality adjustable spanner.Some mechanics hate them but it might just work. or cut a screwdriver slot with a hack saw, or even try mole grips. But you might prefer not damage the bolt in case you need to re use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                            But you might prefer not damage the bolt in case you need to re use it.
                            I've ordered the official bolt from a Vauxhall dealer :-) so I can damage the old one !! And see what size turns up.

But now I'm looking at the plug on the other end, has anyone actually done this job on a Corsa B? It's different to a Corsa C which has the electric connection at the sensor itself, this B one has an integral wire about half a metre long, and the other end is up near the inlet manifold, on the underside of it, so you need very thin arms 2ft long. Is there an easy way to get at it - I've tried removing the airbox but still can't see the plug connection, it looks like it's the other side of the alternator.
                            ?

Comment

Just remember that if the bolt in place isn't original, and it's been re-tapped, then the 'official bolt' may not fit the new thread. No way of knowing until you get it out.

Re. disconnecting the cable, there isn't an easy way, just have to reach up there and pull it apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X