No announcement yet.

Thermostat Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Thermostat Problem?

Noticed coming home from work this morning that the heater wasn't particularly warm. Temp gauge didn't move off the cold by the time I'd gone 8 miles. Switched the heater off and it climbed a bit. Think I could have a faulty thermostat?

Also, when I got the car last Friday, noticed the "take me to the garage" sign was on. Next day it had gone off and the emissions light was on. Now they are both off. Car's running fine and apart from what could be a dodgy thermostat seems to be OK for a Y reg.

Your advice would be appreciated

Sounds like it might be the Thermostat.
    Is the coolant level ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Hardcore View Post
      Sounds like it might be the Thermostat.
      Is the coolant level ok?
      I'll check the coolant.

What I should have said in my original post was that the heater set on high without the fans on, the temp was normal and a good heat was coming out of the heater. Switch the interior heater fans on and the temp dropped.

Hmm. Older cars and their little quirks

Comment

The temp gauge should register normal running temperature within a couple of miles at this time of year. Fortunately the thermostat on them is easy to get at if it proves to be faulty. As said first check the coolant level - it ought to be about halfway up the expansion tank.

The easiest way to check is to look at the large pipe running from the thermostat housing on the front of the water pump - that will be cold when the car is first started. Fire up the engine and keep on hand on that big hose. It ought to stay cold for quite a long time at idle from cold. After about 5-8 minutes the engine ought to be getting warm enough to open the thermostat - what you are looking for is that pipe suddenly getting noticeably warmer as the 'stat opens and lets hot coolant flow to the radiator.

What may happen is that the pipe will just get warmer slowly without any noticeable sudden increase in heat - that shows the 'stat has failed by sticking open.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I've assumed yours is a Corsa C based on it being a 2001 so have updated the title to that for you
          TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Originally posted by jt999 View Post
            I've assumed yours is a Corsa C based on it being a 2001 so have updated the title to that for you
            Thank you. Wasn't sure what mine was. Didn't realise there were so many variants of them

Comment

Working...
            X