Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Errating Idling

Morning All,

A month ago or so, I had a fault with the ICV in my Corsa B 1.0, causing the engine management light to come on. Having taken it to the garage, the mechanic read the codes and confirmed it was the ICV, and replaced it with a new, Bosch part. However, I am now having more issues with idling despite the new ICV.

Sometimes the car can take more than one attempt to start, but always fires up second time, and often first time (although often with a bit of help from the right foot). Once the car is started the idling is very erratic. Normally the car would initially rev up to about 1.5k RPM and then drop down to about 800 once everything was fired up, but it seems like the car is struggling to find idle at the moment, sometimes revving as high as 2k RPM on it's own after the car had started, and often dropping down to ~600RPM when stopping at lights which feels very lumpy and as if the engine is about to stall - although it hasn't done so yet. When driving along the car doesn't seem to decelerate properly without brakes - as if this revving on it's own is causing to accelerate too.

I performed an oil, oil filter and air filter change less than 300 miles ago, so I doubt lack of maintenance is the cause.

I'm thinking that the supplied ICV, as unlikely as it is, is faulty. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt. I have a 1.4 lite corsa B and I also had the exact same problem. After a few days the idling did come right but every now and then it acts up again. No real solution but to just wait it out

Comment

I'd first try cleaning the the throttle body including the breather pipes from the camshaft cover, they tend to build up gunk which is sucked into the TB so no point cleaning the TB without doing the breathers as well. Pay particular attention to the port where the ICV sits.

When you serviced it did you renew the spark plugs? Old plugs can cause similar issues.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thanks for the helpful response once again, Taurus. I will investigate the throttle body, although I suspected the ICV somewhat more due to the fact that my only problems occur when I take my foot off of the accelerator pedal, which is when I believe the ICV kicks in (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The spark plugs were replaced around 15,000 miles ago, and I checked them about 5,000 miles ago and they still appeared to be healthy.

Matt

Whoops - just noticed I spelt the title wrong - it should be erratic - not errating!

Comment

It could be the ICV but if the TB is sticky you'll get the same issues. Since it's a new Bosch unit it's worth making sure the TB is clean. I use Quicksilver Powertune for cleaning them, it's better than carb cleaner.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thanks for the helpful reply again, Taurus. Turns out the month-old ICV I bought is faulty - lucky me! I will definitely have a look at the throttle body at some point as it's bound to need lots of cleaning - so thanks for the recommendation.

Matt

Comment

Working...
            X