No announcement yet.

Corsa c new engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Corsa c new engine?

Right well I was totally bumped bought a corsa 1.2 sxi on Monday, took it for a service and a wee health check yesterday and mechanics said get rid of it metal on the oil, oil filter just crumbled away looks like it's never had a service! Rest of the car ok obviously new chain needed but what's new there!.. Need advice on what to do? Cost of a new engine and fitting? So I just see how long I can get out it? Is it worth it? Is it safe to drive? I'm absolutely raging!

Get a magnetic sump plug, and run it until it dies. Second hand engines are very cheap

Comment

1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Comment

It was a private seller, a solider actually who thought ripped off by a solider. Oh to top it all off found out car was a right off. But no mention of it in v5! This is stressing me!

Comment

Doesn't make a difference what his profession is, good and bad in all jobs. Should have checked these things first, never mind.

Comment

The V5 doesn't record the write off - you can check that using one of the vehicle history services available online.

Even a private sale has to be honest, if the car is as you've described then the seller ought to offer you a refund. Chances are he'll refuse in which case you're either looking at a small claims issue, mending it or scrapping it. The last two depend what you paid for it and whether the rest of the car warrants putting it right.

As Vegas says, it's after the event in this case, but if you're not sure what to look for when buying a car take someone along who does. Otherwise stick to buying from a dealer, more expensive but at least you've got some comeback.
              1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                The V5 doesn't record the write off - you can check that using one of the vehicle history services available online.
                Im pretty sure my brothers old corsa stated it had been written off...can't remember, but im sure it had something in the notes section on the front. His was a cat C
                Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

I do admit my own stupid fault. But just shows you can't trust anyone. Sold it on for spares and repairs, with all the correct info wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't tell them the truth don't know how people do it. But just glad I got it away. Going go a garage to get a car, thanks for all your help, Appreciate it.

Comment

Hope you find a good one. Look at the service record carefully. A lot of places say it has a service record, but not a full one, and even many full ones show it's been serviced less regularly than it should have been.

Don't assume main dealer service is better than independent workshops - usually it's the other way round.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Im pretty sure my brothers old corsa stated it had been written off...can't remember, but im sure it had something in the notes section on the front. His was a cat C
                      There is no mention of insurance record on the V5. I bought a Cat D a couple of months ago because it was cheap and I've double checked the V5, there's nothing recorded there.

Comment

Working...
                      X