Corsa b 12v service specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Corsa b 12v service specs

Hi people i have just bought a corsa b 12v and i need to know how much oil it takes and how much coolant it takes

Grad yourself a Haynes - it's all in there.

Oil is 3 litres of semi-synth 10W-40.

Coolant is 4.3 litres 50/50 mix, originally it will have had the red antifreeze. Don't mix blue and red antifreeze.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Change the oil and filter regularly, these little engines will love you for it!
      Don't skimp on the filter either, a genuine GM (Vauxhall) filter MIGHT cost a little more, but it takes the worry out of the unknown.

Regards

Comment

cheers for that I have bought a mahle oil filter and mahle air filter also i am thinking of using fuchs 5w 30 fully synthetic i think its worth the extra money and i am putting motul inugel for the coolant lol.

Comment

Personally I prefer semi-synth in the engine you've got. Change it every 5k and you'll keep the engine in better shape than using fully synth with extended service intervals. It's not the lubrication that's the issue, it's the detergents in the oil. By 5k they're exhausted so you start to get deposits building up. The chain driven engines need lots of clean oil to the timing gear or they break. Look at any noisy chain driven Corsa engine and you'll always find it's had poor oil services. I've had them last well over 100k on the original chain when the oil is changed more frequently.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Always used semi synth on all engines I've used. Doing it regular is the key. I'd rather change budget stuff every 4k, than expensive stuff every 8k

Comment

Ok cheers for the help people

Comment

Hi. Is three liters the capacity for a 1ltr corsa envoy 2000? Thanks for the info, manual in the post :/

Comment

Originally posted by nonplonker View Post
                  Hi. Is three liters the capacity for a 1ltr corsa envoy 2000? Thanks for the info, manual in the post :/
                  Yes (so long as you're talking about oil)

Comment

grand job. Thanks!

Comment

The better quality oil filters fit better. Some of the cheaper ones are not a totally correct fit, which can lead to a break up of the filter plastic parts which can block the oil galleries. Also the filter material itself can break up.

On the issue of semi syth, I was talking to a mechanic recently and he was of the opinion that chain drives are better off with mineral oil.

I still use semi synth though and change at 5k/6k miles

Comment

Originally posted by zuluman View Post
                        The better quality oil filters fit better. Some of the cheaper ones are not a totally correct fit, which can lead to a break up of the filter plastic parts which can block the oil galleries. Also the filter material itself can break up.

On the issue of semi syth, I was talking to a mechanic recently and he was of the opinion that chain drives are better off with mineral oil.

I still use semi synth though and change at 5k/6k miles
                        Precisely.

Comment

Not sure its that simple for filters these days .Its normally a good bet that if you pay extra for a well known brand it will be OE quality and fit. But Are they actually OE, or are they just famous because they have sold a lot of filters over many years. If a respected filter manufacturer goes bust because they cant compete against cheap imports the most valuable part of the company is its name.A global car parts conglomerate may pay good money for the name but be tempted to cut costs by re branding a cheaper quality item. I know of at least one famous filter brand that is owned by a conglomerate. They may still be fine so its unfair to name them. And of course there may be fakes. You really have to keep up to date on who owns whom.
                          A similar situation exists with the Champion Spark Plug Brand, which is owned by an american conglomerate Federal Mogul. Federal Mogul also sell filters. Because ,presumably,they dont own a famous filter brand they market these filters under the widely recognised Champion brand name.Champion are famous as OE spark plug suppliers,not filter makers. But some may assume the filters will also be OE quality. They are not, they are aftermarket quality. Probably ok, but maybe not as good as you expected.
                          As Taurus has said, the easiest and safest bet is to buy genuine GM filters from a reliable source. They will be OE quality, although of course GM probably dont actually make them. They may even source them from more than one manufacturer,probably with names unknown to most people. If you knew who they were you could possibly get exactly the same item cheaper with a different paint job.

Comment

The LUCAS brand is an example of a brand name, which was sold on. As far as I know it is licenced to differing companies depending on world location

Hengst (Hengst Automotive Germany) were/are the supplier of oil filters and housings to OPEL for at least for the 1.0 litre corsa engine (and probably all of them. They also supply John Deere among others)

EDIT:

for what it is worth, I found this on another site as an example of the name/brand being sold on (particular to oil filters)

"Many years ago Crosland were a real major player in the filter world. I sold them for over ten years. Crosland were then sold to Sogefi who own Fram, Purflux and a few others. Euro car parts bought the name only, no development, no technical back up, nothing. Just the name. Now they buy the cheapest filters from around the world you've never heard of box them and sell on the perceived quality of the name. ..."

source:
                            Crosland or bosch or mann filters ???? | BMW Forums : BimmerForums

and as an adjunct:

"Sogefi Group discontinued the UK-only Crosland filter range – at the time its smallest filter brand – in 2010; transferring Crosland customers to the other Sogefi brands Fram and CoopersFiaam. The ‘Crosland’ UK registered trademark was then recently sold to Euro Car Parts. Although the trademark sale allows Euro Car Parts to sell filters in Crosland boxes in the UK and Ireland, Sogefi has discontinued any product supply agreement in relation to Crosland. This means that the Crosland-boxed filters now being offered by Euro Car Parts are not manufactured or supplied by the Sogefi Group, which takes no responsibility for the range and the products. ..."

source: SOGEFI DISTANCES ITSELF FROM FILTER BRAND SOLD TO ECP – CAT Magazine

Further research would seem to indicate that Crosland are now made in China

Now I may know why my Crosland filter broke up in my x10xe engine ...
                            Last edited by zuluman; 08-09-2015, 02:24 PM.

Comment

The brand I didnt name was Sogefi /Fram. And a good old German name always reassures doesnt it.

Comment

Working...
                              X