No announcement yet.

EML light come on and off, car is jerking, sometimes does not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] EML light come on and off, car is jerking, sometimes does not start

Hi.

I have a Corsa Breze, 1998, 1.4, 8v, X14SZ engine.
    Few months ago car started jerking when accelerating on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. I did not pay too much attention to this. But a month later I saw a light(engine with spark, EML, I guess) coming on and off on dashboard. And then revs go up just randomly on neutral. And if I will switch the engine off when this light is on, then its terribly hard to start the engine. And now even worse: car might not start even if the EML is not on. All this start to happen after 30 minutes of driving. When engine is cold, it starts 1st attempt, with no problems at all.
    Been in 3 garages. None of them found any faults on computer. Though, one garage suggested to clean the throttle body (60 quid wasted). Another garage suggested to change camshaft sensor (70 quid wasted). 3rd garage suggested to change coolant sensor(30 quid wasted). And the problem is still there.
    Then, after reading this forum, I bought a EGR valve gasket for 3 quid and replaced myself, cleaned EGR valve properly. Now, car is not jerking at all. But the EML still comes up from time to time for 10-60 seconds(or so). And the engine starts very hard after is was switched off with eml light on, and might start hard even if engine was switched off with no eml light on. Please, see the video attached. In the beginning of this video I did not press accelerator, though engine was running on 1000 revs, instead of 800 as normal. And pay attention how the engine started.

Please, advise what shall I do? This forum is the only way to fix my car after 3 garages failed
    Regarding Vauxhall dealer: I don't want to go to them, as they will charge more than the car costs. And may possibly tell me same story that "computer did not find any faults".

Comment

My engine hasn't got MAF sensor. I put a steel metal insted of my EGR valve gasket today. No more EML light. But it still won't start sometimes when the ilengine is hot. So I don't know what else to check/replace? Can it be injector? Or coil pack? How to check which one is faulty?

Comment

It's so difficult without the main dealer input. I know HT leads can become a problem sometimes when very hot, may be worth replacing as they're fairly cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
          It's so difficult without the main dealer input. I know HT leads can become a problem sometimes when very hot, may be worth replacing as they're fairly cheap?
          I'm sorry for being stupid, but what is an HT lead?

Comment

Sorry, been working away. It's the lead that goes to the spark plugs, high tension lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
              Sorry, been working away. It's the lead that goes to the spark plugs, high tension lead.
              Thank you. Yesterday I ordered a second hand coil pack from ebay. HT leads included. Will see how it goes. Will report later.
              Thank you.

Comment

Try the paper clip test (look in the tutorial section). I'll bet the garages you went to didn't have a reader that would communicate with the older type of ECU as fitted to your Corsa.

Start with the basics, when was it last properly serviced? (New plugs, all filters etc). The that garage cleaned the throttle body - did they clean the idle control valve on it? If that jams open it'll cause higher idle and a lean mix when starting.

The advice to check coil pack and HT leads is good. Yours will be the DIS module which are usually pretty foolproof but not totally. HT leads don't last for ever so report back when you've fitted the replacement items. The colour of the spark plug tips is often a good clue to what's going on.
                1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I bought a second hand coil pack. And no difference. Problem is still there.
                  I've done paperclip test. Found these 2 faults:
                  1405 Exhaust Gas Re-circulation (EGR) valve n/a
                  0115 Intake Coolant Temperature Sesnor (CTS) n/a
                  I blanked my egr about 2 weeks ago, can that be the reason of this fault?
                  And CTS was replaced about a month ago.
                  Any suggestions?

Comment

OK - next question is - are those old fault codes?

The good news is on your age of Corsa you can clear the ECU by simply disconnecting the battery. So leave it off for an hour, then reconnect, start the engine and take it for a 10 mile drive to recalibrate everything, then check for codes - any you get will be current faults.

If the EGR is blanked off it shouldn't be causing any problems.

The CTS - usually they only cause a problem once the engine is hot and basically they just make it run rich. Cold starts and full acceleration aren't an issue. The ECU defaults to a cold start mix. As the engine warms up the CTS tells the ECU so the ECU knows to lean the mix out. A dud CTS usually means lumpy idle and refusal to fire from hot. Full acceleration isn't an issue since the engine will burn a rich mix on full throttle. So that doesn't sound like it's your problem.

As above - when was it last fully serviced? And was the idle valve checked? A photo of the spark plug tips would be good.
                    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                      OK - next question is - are those old fault codes?

The good news is on your age of Corsa you can clear the ECU by simply disconnecting the battery. So leave it off for an hour, then reconnect, start the engine and take it for a 10 mile drive to recalibrate everything, then check for codes - any you get will be current faults.

If the EGR is blanked off it shouldn't be causing any problems.

The CTS - usually they only cause a problem once the engine is hot and basically they just make it run rich. Cold starts and full acceleration aren't an issue. The ECU defaults to a cold start mix. As the engine warms up the CTS tells the ECU so the ECU knows to lean the mix out. A dud CTS usually means lumpy idle and refusal to fire from hot. Full acceleration isn't an issue since the engine will burn a rich mix on full throttle. So that doesn't sound like it's your problem.

As above - when was it last fully serviced? And was the idle valve checked? A photo of the spark plug tips would be good.
                      This is my problem: engine starts sooooo hard when its warm.
                      I changed all 4 spark plugs earlier this week.
                      And regarding service, I change oil every 6 months. I do it myself. Don't see any reason to pay ripoff garages for 'service'. Anyway all they do is change the oil and topup screen wash )
                      I just disconnected the battery and will see in couple ofhours if there any chages. Will come with an update.
                      Thank you.

Comment

You may need to check the CTS wiring then. Use a multimeter to see what the CTS is putting back to the ECU cold and hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                          You may need to check the CTS wiring then. Use a multimeter to see what the CTS is putting back to the ECU cold and hot.
                          I never used a multimeter in my life. I can buy one though. But I have no idea how to check what tye CTS is putting back to ECU. Is that a rocket science?

Comment

Hurray!!!!
                            My little old Corsa drives like a dream now!!!! This morning I changed the CTS. That stupid garage changed my gauge sensor instead of CTS. Now problem solved. And it cost me 8 quid from eBay!!! But couple of hundred quid wasted to garages . Shame. This forum is much more helpfull than 3 local garages I'd been at.
                            Thank you all of you gentlemen! Thank you so much

Comment

Ah - I should have checked they'd changed the right one. You assume the garage knows what they're doing!

Newer engines use a single sensor for the ECU feed, the temp gauge (if fitted!) and the coolant fan. Older model have three separate items, the CTS which tells the ECU how warm the coolant is, the sender for the temp gauge and the thermoswitch for the coolant fan.

I preferred the old system, it was easier to fix.

Comment

Working...
                              X