Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small smoke from engine when air con goes on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Small smoke from engine when air con goes on.

Hello.

Just noticed today on the engine cover while at lights (it was pouring) a small bit of smoke from the engine when air con went on.

I have uploaded a video once I got to work. It stops after a while but no one wants smoke from the engine.

Car runs fine, just scared to put the air con on.

https://youtu.be/aGS3kun9858

Originally posted by danielbanks View Post
    Hello.

Just noticed today on the engine cover while at lights (it was pouring) a small bit of smoke from the engine when air con went on.

I have uploaded a video once I got to work. It stops after a while but no one wants smoke from the engine.

Can't open the video, it says it's private. Are you sure it's smoke and not steam? Does it happen always? Sounds too simple but I was wondering if the air con clutch engaged flicking water at the hot engine/exhaust, as you say it was pouring.

Car runs fine, just scared to put the air con on.

https://youtu.be/aGS3kun9858

Comment

I can't see your 'private' video either.

Have you recently re-gassed the aircon? If so, it is possible that too much gas was added, this might cause the belt to slip, in turn causing the smoke. A seized/partially seized compressor might cause the same problem.

Regards

Comment

Hi chaps.

Apolgies. Video changed.

Never had had it recharged. There is a unusual air con smell as usual but not sure if that's related.

Ill try try it again now the wet spell up north has stopped.

dan B.

Comment

Originally posted by danielbanks View Post
          Hi chaps.

Apolgies. Video changed.

Never had had it recharged. There is a unusual air con smell as usual but not sure if that's related.

Ill try try it again now the wet spell up north has stopped.

dan B.
          If you means through he vents it's normal, just bacteria breaking wind!

Comment

Still can't make much of the video - it's over and done with before my eyes catch up with it!!!
            As for the 'air con smell', yes it's due to bacteria in the system. If you want to get rid of it, you can buy a tin of special disinfectant from places like Halfords - You close the windows, set the system to 'recirculation', open the tin and leave it running with the doors closed.
            Don't waste your money on 'air fresheners' they are a waste of time.

All of this doesn't sort your original problem, though.
            You could try turning on the aircon, and looking to see if the clutch has engaged, if it has, the inner part of the compressor pulley will rotate, if it hasn't, just the outer part (where the belt runs) will rotate.
            If the 'full' pulley is running, keep an eye on the belt and see if it smokes (slips) - If not, and because it was raining, maybe what you were seeing was 'steam' rather than smoke.
            Let us know what you find.

Regards

Comment

Working...
            X