Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [All Models] My Corsa Xreg 1200cc petrol lost power-please help

Hi,

Good afternoon. I live in an area which is a steep hill with on street parking. I observed from last few days my corsa is heating up then usual after 3 miles drive but always not more than 95oc and fan comes on automatically. I do lot of 2nd gear driving due to landscape of this town. Today, I went to supermarket and came back home and tried to park. Engine stopped 4 times on reverse gear and finally managed parallel parking. I have to use accelerator to move the car back which i don't need to do and just use my clutch to maneuver my car every day. The temp gauge is again reading 97oc after 3 miles drive and radiator fan is coming. Engine oil is up to the mark.I checked it this morning after parking on near by flat road.

Can someone shine light on this please

Many thanks in advance,

Not sure why you're just parking using the clutch anyway?

When was the last time you checked coolant level, and changed if

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
      Not sure why you're just parking using the clutch anyway?

When was the last time you checked coolant level, and changed if
      I bought this car 5 months ago. I will checked it tonight after engine is cool and let you know.

Many thanks

Comment

I have no manual. What coolant specifications should I use?

Many thanks

Comment

Just check the level for the time being - should be about halfway up the expansion tank. You car should have had red antifreeze mix from new. Check what's in it now, the previous owner may have used the older blue stuff - don't mix the two.

If the coolant level has dropped you need to find out why - either a external leak, which could be very small, or an internal problem with the engine. Look in the oil filler cap, see if there is a lot of oil emulsion under there.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
            Just check the level for the time being - should be about halfway up the expansion tank. You car should have had red antifreeze mix from new. Check what's in it now, the previous owner may have used the older blue stuff - don't mix the two.

If the coolant level has dropped you need to find out why - either a external leak, which could be very small, or an internal problem with the engine. Look in the oil filler cap, see if there is a lot of oil emulsion under there.
            The coolant level is halfway up the expansion tank. it is very light blue colour. But the car is not on a level road...........Parked on inclined road with engine bay lower than boot end. Does it matter?

No emulsions on the oil filler cap. I forgot to tell you ...........I noticed that exhaust pipe is spitting few water drops when engine is running for sometime eg.3 mile drive. One more thing, Engine temperature is just above the minimum mark when driving and when I park the car while engine still idling for a minute..........temp climbs to 95-96.

Is car plan antifreeze good for any topup's? What specifications engine oil should I use for any topup's. Sorry too many Questions..................I don't have a manual.

Please advise.

Many thanks
            Last edited by PBS6VAS; 21-06-2015, 08:32 AM. Reason: change

Comment

You can download the owners handbook for many models as a pdf direct from vauxhall. Its free. They are available for most corsa models, not sure about yours. check it out on google. But if you are running an older car its a good idea to buy a haynes manual, even if you havnt much mechanical knowledge.Neglecting or making mistakes over coolant,oil and brake fluid etc can prove very expensive.

Most newer cars use red 'oat' antifreeze. But some use the older blue stuff. You shouldnt mix the two. But if yours is pale blue it sounds like a previous owner has been topping up, with blue, and sometimes possibly just plain water. This will have diluted it so its no longer effective as an anti freeze, or for its anti corrosion properties. And the frequent need for such topping up suggests a leak. A few drops of water from the exhaust pipe is not in itself unusual.

I wouldnt just 'top up' your antifreeze. You need to have the system checked for leaks etc and at the very least have the pale stuff drained off completely and replaced with fresh antifreeze of the recommended type and strength for the car. (Do this even if the system cooling system checks out ok -antifreeze doesnt last for ever)
              Last edited by Bugman; 21-06-2015, 11:09 AM.

Comment

You can use the Car Plan blue stuff, but bear in mind that the blue antifreeze needs replacing every 2 years. The red stuff lasts 5 years.

You don't actually say you are topping up, if you aren't then that's fine. If you are find out where it's going.

Engine oil - any decent brand 10W/40 semi-synthetic is fine.

Water spitting from the exhaust is usual for the first few miles. Exhaust gases contain water in the form of steam, in a cold exhaust this condenses into water droplets (which is acidic by the way, hence exhausts rot from the inside out.) Once the engine is fully hot the exhaust gases carry the moisture out and the droplets stop.

On the B models it's not unusual for the temp gauge to read low, but climb quickly in traffic. They can also often nearly be into the red before the fan cuts in.

If you are not losing coolant or using much oil, and the fan isn't coming on too often, it may just be doing what they all do.
                1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                  You can use the Car Plan blue stuff, but bear in mind that the blue antifreeze needs replacing every 2 years. The red stuff lasts 5 years.

You don't actually say you are topping up, if you aren't then that's fine. If you are find out where it's going.

Engine oil - any decent brand 10W/40 semi-synthetic is fine.

Water spitting from the exhaust is usual for the first few miles. Exhaust gases contain water in the form of steam, in a cold exhaust this condenses into water droplets (which is acidic by the way, hence exhausts rot from the inside out.) Once the engine is fully hot the exhaust gases carry the moisture out and the droplets stop.

On the B models it's not unusual for the temp gauge to read low, but climb quickly in traffic. They can also often nearly be into the red before the fan cuts in.

If you are not losing coolant or using much oil, and the fan isn't coming on too often, it may just be doing what they all do.
                  Is it easy to drain the coolant and replace it with the new stuff? how to drain the coolant on my model? I am not a tech but only changed engine oil on my previous ford.

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                    You can download the owners handbook for many models as a pdf direct from vauxhall. Its free. They are available for most corsa models, not sure about yours. check it out on google. But if you are running an older car its a good idea to buy a haynes manual, even if you havnt much mechanical knowledge.Neglecting or making mistakes over coolant,oil and brake fluid etc can prove very expensive.

Most newer cars use red 'oat' antifreeze. But some use the older blue stuff. You shouldnt mix the two. But if yours is pale blue it sounds like a previous owner has been topping up, with blue, and sometimes possibly just plain water. This will have diluted it so its no longer effective as an anti freeze, or for its anti corrosion properties. And the frequent need for such topping up suggests a leak. A few drops of water from the exhaust pipe is not in itself unusual.

I wouldnt just 'top up' your antifreeze. You need to have the system checked for leaks etc and at the very least have the pale stuff drained off completely and replaced with fresh antifreeze of the recommended type and strength for the car. (Do this even if the system cooling system checks out ok -antifreeze doesnt last for ever)
                    Thank you. Is there any tutorial for draining the coolant and replacing for my model?

Many thanks

Comment

Buy yourself a Haynes manual - it'll pay for itself first time you use it.

Draining the coolant just means taking off the bottom rad hose, flush the system through with a hosepipe, refit the bottom hose - then refill with antifreeze mix (you can buy it premixed or concentrated) very very slowly to avoid airlocks. Run the engine, allow to cool and top up to the correct level.

You want a 50/50 mix to counter hard winter weather.

Comment

Working...
                      X