Corsa 1.0 51 plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [All Models] Corsa 1.0 51 plate

Hi my corsa all of a sudden sounds like a diesel on tick over so I went to a mechanic and asked him he see try changing the oil if not check the timing chain, I've done both and it hasn't changed does any one have an ideas?

I also have the same issue ofter a motor rebuild was also told it mite be the oil is still thin cuz it's new that I should try a thicker oil

Comment

Okay cheers

Comment

Check the exhaust is not leaking

Comment

I did check the exhaust I think it's the engine cuz it sounds very tappy

Comment

Make sure oil level is correct on the dip stick

Comment

Check oil level dude...

Comment

Your mechanic sounds pretty useless. Any half-interested mechanic would check the engine using a stethoscope to identify the cause of the noise for sure.

The usual cause of noisy engines on these is either the timing chain, in which case it needs to be replaced, or the hydraulic valve followers. The followers shouldn't get noisy so if the noise is definitely from them you need to investigate. It could be that one is blocked, it could be valve gear wear or damage, it could be a very badly worn camshaft, or it could be low oil pressure.

There's no way to tell without hands on checking the engine. Those are the usual causes, but check also everything on the timing chain / aux belt area - eg a worn alternator can make similar noises.

Either invest in a stethoscope (Sealey AK871 Mechanic's Stethoscope) or use a metal bar / big screwdriver to listen to the engine's internals. You'll spot the source of the noise straight away.

Using thicker oil isn't a good idea, the '51 plate 12v engine uses between 5W/30 or 10W/40. Anything 'thicker' won't help startup or do the timing gear any good.
                1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I did a rebuild after blowing my motor now there is a skuffing sound in the bell housing area clutch pressure plant and thrust bearing where replaced less than 2000 ks and before the rebuild it was fine it only when it in neutral .was told it's gear rattle cuz of new gear box oil ?

Comment

Start a seperate thread for you problem

Comment

Ok sorry I'm new here .Will do thanx

Comment

Just changed the air filter, the gasket seal and the spark plugs and as I took the engine top of it was full of **** so I scrapped it out and it has made an outstanding difference I think it was the first rocker gasket

Comment

Working...
                        X