Long distance driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Long distance driving

Hello, first time poster here! Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or anything!

Basically, I currently drive a 2001 1.2 Corsa C Comfort, which I want to drive from Colchester to Cardiff this July, which is a round trip of around 450-500 miles. It was MOT'd the other week, and had to have a dust cover for something replaced, but otherwise the only advisories were that I get the handbrake cable replaced soon, and how there were a few small chips on the windscreen.

The car also has an oil leak, which I think is the gearbox, as the main oil level hasn't gone down since I've got it. The leak was quite pronounced originally but it's since stopped, suggesting that wherever the hole is the oil level is now below that - I don't entirely understand what oil does for the gearbox, but apart from occasionally having to change into third gear with the clutch down before it will let me move into reverse, it feels fine. It's done just under 110,000 miles and had new tyres fitted at the end of last year, although I'm not sure about if it's had a new cambelt or anything.

A few friends have told me they don't think I'd make it to Cardiff and back in my car as it is, and they've slightly unsettled me! I assumed I'd be fine as it's motorway driving, which I think is supposed to be less stressful on the engine or something, and generally the car has been fine to drive. Could any of you offer your opinions on whether I should be okay or not, if a gearbox oil leak or a possibly unchanged cambelt is bad at this point, and any advice on what to do before I travel to make sure I complete the journey?

Thanks!

hi, personaly if u don't know when the cam belt was last changed I would look into it as it should be replaced aprox every 40k or 4 years which ever comes sooner. this is regardless of your road trip as it will just as easily snap driving to the shops as to Cardiff. as to the gearbox oil I would have a garage top it up if u cant do it yourself that way least u can see where it is leaking from and asses weather it needs doing b4 ur trip.

having said that I have just bought a 1.2 corsa b on a 99 plate and going to drive to Bratislava in august in it

hope this helps
    coop

Comment

Ok, it's not a cambelt it uses a chain.

Chains can outlive a car, but that's provided it's been looked after I.e regular oil changes. It could go at anytime, just try not to drop gears at speed, or over Rev the engine. You'll be fine more than likely, just get in and get on with ur

Comment

Gearboxes need oil for lubrication. If it doesnt get oil things grind together and the gearbox will soon be wrecked.Even at the correct level they dont contain a huge amount of oil. If its stopped leaking its safest to assume its because its completely empty, or dangerously low. Topping it up is a temporary fix. Its better to investigate ,locate and fix the leak. It might make it, but why take the chance .

Comment

What colour was the oil leaking out? Transmission fluid tends to be red or another clear colour. Engine oil usually drips black. A small leak makes a lot of mess so you can have a leak without the level dropping noticeably.

Gear oil level is checked every major service so if in doubt get it serviced.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thank you for your responses so far! The leak did stop last October but i think it was quite a dark colour, likely black. It was quite hard to see when stationery - I only noticed it from the dark splodges on the pavement underneath the car! I'm definitely going to get it checked out now, just for peace of mind! If the car uses a chain rather than a belt, is the interval before you're supposed to change it different?

Comment

hi, far as I know a chain only needs replacing when it becomes noisy. as said above it usually out lasts the car as long as it is well maintained.

hope this helps
              coop

Comment

Black oil drips are most likely engine oil. It may have been and old leak, eg the oil switch fails on them frequently, if it was previously fixed it may just be old oil finding its way off the engine.

Timing chains can last anywhere from nowhere to galactic mileages, it depends on the frequency and quality of oil changes, and the quality of kit used if a chain is replaced. They are never very quiet engines, but unless your chain is noisy it just needs frequent oil changes to keep it clean and lubricated.
                1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Working...
                X