ABS issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] ABS issue

hi all I have a corsa b on a 99 plate I noticed the other day that the n/s/f abs sensor wire had been cut and that the o/s/f driveshaft had no abs ring. so I have repaired the wire and replaced the drive shaft. now the speedo works but there is a constant knocking from the n/s/f and vibration in the brake pedal every time I go near the brakes as if the abs was cutting in.

the car wasn't doing this b4 I repaired the wire and replaced the drive shaft could the sensor be dodgy?? there is no light in the dash but I wouldn't put it past someone to take the bulb out.

many thanks
    coop

Drive around in circles on full lock. Could be the cv joints on the replacement driveshaft is knackered

Comment

I just been out and tried that it doesn't knock on full lock only when I brake. plus the knocking is coming from the passenger side and I replaced the drivers side. I also tried disconnecting the passenger side front abs sensor and the fault disappeared!!
      many thanks
      coop

Comment

ok just had a thought. if I swapped the front sensors over if the fault was with the abs sensor would it switch sides??? or would it still be knocking on the n/s/f wheel
        many thanks
        coop

Comment

hi all the pins on both front sensor brackets have broken off in the holes.... what should the gap be between the ring and the sensor pls
          many thanks
          coop

Comment

Never actually measured it but it's pretty close. Can you replace the pins in which it should line up in the right position.

The abs bulb should come on with the ignition as a check
            1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

hi hope you had a good holiday .... the pins have snapped off in the holes and I haven't got an electric drill small enough to get in there. I could take the whole assembly off I guess but I then I would have to get all the alignment done. the bulb in the dash for the abs is either missing or blown. That is on my to-do list for the weekend.

many thanks
              coop
              cooper1200
              'LS' Member
              Last edited by cooper1200; 18-04-2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

It's after the event now but take it as a lesson learnt to check all the warning lights work before handing over your money. When they don't it usually suggests someone's done a bodge it and scarper job.

It also confirmns that the mot was dodgy. Shouldn't have passed like that.

At this stage the only thing to do is to do it properly. There's a guy on RR who has as his SIG, "There's no such thing as difficult, either things take time or they don't." Try drilling the top suspension bolt out of a Viva if you want a real pita job.

I use a Dremel for similar jobs, or take it to bits and drill them out on the bench. There's no short cut.
                1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

hi, thanks for the response..... I kind of bought it as a banger because I just wanted it to go on a road rally to Bratislava in the summer. I was going to do it in my p6 but as its a 3.5 v8 it was going to cost over 800 quid in fuel. so I bought this instead. I'm used to rusty bolts and nuts on the p6. my issue with taking the hub out is it's part of the suspension and I don't feel comfortable I have seen those springs slip and go through the roof of the workshop. so I know i'm being wuss but i'm just not comfortable doing it.

many thanks
                  coop

Comment

ok just had a quick thought.... now I have the dash lights working is there a way of finding out what the abs codes are with out a scanner/diagnostic tool?

many thanks
                    coop

Comment

Thinking outside the box here. Feel free to shoot me down in flames guys. If all the fancy abs bits are a pita to fix could it be possible to remove or isolate them and re-plumb the braking as standard non abs brakes?Plenty of cars built since 1999 do not have ABS. It may not pass another MOT if its modified, but it seems it may not have passed its last one anyway. Do you actually need it to pass another MOT? Is the car worth spending time and money on the abs, or do you see it as disposable as parts when, and if, it returns from its one-off summer trip? It may be better to have working non abs brakes than defective abs. There may be all sorts of practical and legal objections . Just an idea.

Comment

ABS codes you'll need diagnostics to interrogate.

Taking the front suspension to bits is really very easy on them. You just need some spring compressors which can be bought pretty cheap.

If you only want it as a short term banger for the run then so long as the current MOT covers you I'd disconnect the f/n/s abs again and use a satnav as a speedo. It won't pass the next MOT that way but you may not need it that long.

Or you can try a bodge and stick the sensors back with something like 2 pack liquid metal, I stuck a motorcycle cylinder head together with it years ago and it ran fine (until some scrote nicked it and piled it into a tree). Always fun when a bodge works!

Comment

hi thanks for the response. I discovered the n/s/f abs ring is knackered when I did the brakes and disks today. so I will need another driveshaft/cv joint (if it comes with the ring and works out cheaper) im happy to glue them rather than pay a fortune for new brackets but would need to know where to glue them and what gap should be there as it will be a one shot deal.

many thanks
                          coop

Comment

Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but you don't need to decompress the springs to remove the front hub. The springs will come off with the strut unit and remain contained between the seat and the upper cap. Two bolts connect the strut unit to the hub/knuckle, and two connect it to the body. Undo these and it drops out from the wheel arch.

The ABS sensor will be in the knuckle, so to remove the knucke to work on it you'll just need to remove the strut, disconnect the lower ball joint, disconnect the steering track rod, and then pop it off the drive shaft. Have I missed anything?

Comment

Nope

Comment

Working...
                              X